General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 accord no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Default 2005 accord no start issue

Hello, I have a 2005 accord V6 that for the last few months the car will not start after driving around. It cranks fine and batteries check out. If you let the car sit for awhile it would start and work for a about a month. The other day it just gave up the ghost and now will not start. Someone suggested the crank sensor so I was told that if there was an RPM reading with a scan tool while cranking it would not be the sensor. I checked this and there was a RPM reading so I assume its not that. When I pull a spark plug I can see that the plug is wet so I assume the fuel pump is working(I can hear the pump as well). When I test for spark I don't see anything. I have also tested two difference cylinders. If I get lucky and it starts it will run until I shut it off, once I turn it off it will not start again. I am not sure what else I should be checking at this point. If any one should help that would be great.

Also it may be related or not but the a/c 7.5 amp fuse just blew while I have been trying to fix this issue.....if I replace it with a 15 amp the a/c display turns on and it starts to work. I have had 4 accords and 2 civics and this is truly the first time I have ever had a problem.

Thanks,

Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Did the scan tool give you any error codes?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM

There were no codes with the scanner...sorry should have mentioned that.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

The V6 has a coil pack for each injector right?

If so, each coil pack should have three wires going to it. One wire will be black on all of them, the 2nd wire will be the same color for all six coils, and the third will have different wire color to each coil pack.

You will need a volt meter to do these tests.

With the key in the II position, unplug the coil electrical connector. The non-black wire that is common to all the coils has 12V to body ground. The black wire should have zero resistance to body ground. I use a valve cover bolt for body ground.

I'm basing this off of my TSX, but the accord should have this same setup.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Non-black common wire has "0" volts
Black wire has 6 ohms( I think that I am reading that correctly)

another note - the engine fan stays on all the time now with the key on. I assume this is a differenct issue. I did remember hearing that there were fuse box issues with accords.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

The fans could turn on if the a/c is turned on even without the engine running. My 95 accord would do this.

The next easiest step to do is switch the ignition coil relay with an identical one that is not important. Pick something like the power window relay. I don't have a diagram of your fuse box, but they might be labeled on the fuse box cover. It could be in the owner's manual as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 PM

I looked in both the Hanes manual and the owners manual with no luck. The only thing I can see is the "main ignition" 50 amp fuse. I the underhood fuse box I have relays but they all seem to be for the blower, heater, defroster, compressor. Those are all labeled as well. If you state that there is a relay for the ignition coil I will continue to try and find one.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

On my TSX that relay is in the fuse box inside of the car.

My best suggestion to you is to buy a pdf of the shop manual for your 05 V6. I got mine from automanualsource on Ebay for $21.99. I also think that there is a website automanualsource.com to buy them.

The manual costs about as much as a Haynes or Chilton's, but will pay for itself when you do your first DIY. That is where I got mine, and it is definitely worth the investment if you plan to fix your own car.