General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Tire Tread Wear + Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Default 2005 Honda Accord EX-L Tire Tread Wear + Steering Question

Okay guys, I need help. I drive a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L, with 65K miles.

Problem: The other day I noticed that the tire tread on the Front Right tire is severely faded towards the outer edge of the tire. (See photo). The problem is that all of the other tires are fine, and it's the only tire that has faded tread.

In January of this year, I was a genius late at night and turned too quickly into the driveway. I was making a right turn into the driveway, and instead of going up the ramp, my front right tire hit the curb, at about 10-15 mph. My car was pushed back by the curb, I did not go up and over the curb. (See diagram).

A week after this happened, I got the alignment done on the car in January.

This past weekend after noticing the fading tread, I had a mechanic remove the tire, and inspect the control arm, axle and everything. He said that everything looked normal, swapped the front and rear right side tires, and recommended re-alignment.

In terms of the way it drives, I noticed that:
1) The steering wheel has a bit more vibration, especially when I'm at a stop light
2) The steering wheel pulls in the opposite direction during a turn
3) I have to apply more pressure to the brake pad when braking

My question is: Is it okay to swap the tires from front to back? Would alignment really help the car in this case? Or would I be throwing away more money? Also, should I go to the Honda dealership to get alignment done? Last time, I went to PepBoys, errrrr.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Honda Accord EX-L Tire Tread Wear + Steering Question-front-right-tire-tread-fading.jpg   2005 Honda Accord EX-L Tire Tread Wear + Steering Question-curb-collsion.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

It okay to rotate the tires from front to back; but, that tire need replacement. If it was me, I would get new tires as necessary and then do the alignment; but, it is up to you especially if finances are a little tight right now. How is the thread on the other tires?

You should get the alignment checked and adjusted if necessary. You can go to the Honda dealership or any reputable shop. If going to the dealership, check their website for online coupon service specials first.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

could have something to do with a faulty "pepsisters" alignment job. get the two best tires on the front, buy new ones if you have to, and then have it checked/aligned...call pepsisters first and see what their guarantee is on the alignment.