Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Default tire wear

3/28/05 I bought new tires for daughter's car and had it aligned. Tires are a little larger and wider..+1. (205/60/15) It is a 96 EX. Was under it over the weekend putting a new O2 sensor in and both of the front tires are wearing bad on the inside of the tire. Not feathering or cupping just evenly wearing on the inside 1-1.5 inch of tread on both tires. What's up? Alignment of course is out of warranty. Back tires look great no cupping or wear at all--I haven't rotated yet, for which I am glad for once...before I go up to the tire place and chew on someone...any ideas.?? Would that minor change in tire size make that much diff or has my alignment gone south? Any ideas will be appreciated. Stock suspension. Car doesn't pull or anything . Was in spec's when align completed.
Could the springs be just worn out? Ride height is not out of whack...rides great.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Default RE: tire wear

if your suspension is fine then It's going to be a few different possibilities... honda's don't allow camber adjustment (with stock suspension) except for perhaps 1 or 2 degrees... Also they say that + or - 1 degree is acceptable... however, if it's fairly severe then my guess would be that they didn't adjust it properly... are the tires toed in by chance? is the air pressure correct? My guess would be that they just did something slightly wrong.... take the car back up there and play dumb... say that you noticed one side was more worn than the other and it didn't make sense.... tell them you had them align the car x months ago and don't understand what happened... see what they say... if they start BSing you then call them on it but allow them the chance to make it right without having to give away the fact that you think they screwed it up...

Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 PM

One more thing... how many miles have you driven since the alignment? (ballpark...)

Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 PM

15k..like I said it is my daughter's. She went out of town so I am driving and cleaning, maint. anything. (Girls are pigs with cars as teenagers!...clothes etc in the trunk-read wardrobe.) She may have potholed somewhere I am not aware of. It goes straight and steering wheeel is straight. Only thing I was thinking is the springs are bad making it sag all the way around. But the height is good. The align. warranty will be out by 3k or 3 mos...sux. I was going to do what you said anyway and go up there nice and let them give me their BS speech...just wanted ya'lls opinion.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM

even if she potholled or didn't something like that I can't imagine that it would evenly affect the camber/alignment on both sides... and depending on your treadwear rating after 15k I wouldn't imagine that it'd be that noticeable... if it's even on both sides then either it's the wider tires just telegraphing and existing issue or they screwed up...

Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM

The wierd thing is no feathering or cupping...the back tires look brand new still. I was happy there was no wear on the outside...where she turns at 90 degrees angles. That is why I didn't rotate..just never looked at the inside part of tire. I was just stumped because it is the same on both and not just one.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:13 PM

The only time I've seen that issue is when it's camber.... a toe problem can cause that but then typically it's not going to be that consistent on both sides...

Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It takes a lot to knock an accord out of allignment. I ran over a peice of angle iron and the car didn't even flinch. I hit at at 70 mph and it just barely started pulling to the left... alligned it and they said that it was not off by that much........

Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 PM

Sounds like a camber issue to me as well.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM

Well, I paid $60 for another alignment. The car was "dog tracking"--back going one way and steering wheel was straight but was enough compensation when driving-- had wierd wear. Daughter got scraped bad at a parking lot on the passenger side, starting at back of car and going up to middle of front door. Figured it was a pick up by the damage. Was at a mall and parked , didn't even notice till she got home (passenger side)...got body work done and I figure that what ever hit her slowly and scraped the blank out of her car moved it while not letting the tires move and did the alignment damage. I forgot all about this..it was about a month after I bought new tires and alignment...see how good it is having teenagers!!! Fun , huh? I rotated the tires when I got home and will hope for the best wear wise from here out. The #s on the passenger side were out of the park on the alignment, live & learn. I should have had the body shop align it had I been thinking, but it wasn't in a moving accident. Oh well, thanks for ya'lls help.