General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tire wear

Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Default Tire wear

hello all, i have an issue with my front passenger side tire. i am trying to narrow down the possabilities to fix the problem. the tire wears quicker on the inner 1/4" of the tire. I have gone to numerous alignment shops that show me printouts telling me my alignment is fine. I have pushed and pulled balljoints top and bottom and cant find play. its not the rim or tire cause i have rotated them around and it only happens on that corner. Im not sure what to test/inspect next. oh its a 1992 accord EX. any other info needed let me know. thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Got any of the printouts? What are the numbers?

I had a 98 Accord, and the spec for camber was pretty lax. So they could be a degree or more different, side to side, and still be technically "in spec". Maybe you can convince a shop to make them equal, even tho it's not technically required by the book.

Still, maybe something else is going on. Bad shock at that corner?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 AM

i have to see about digging up the printout. would a bad shock cause that ? i was under the impression the shock has nothing to do with the camber, but im not used to the suspension setup in the honda ? thanks ill take a look at the shock then, they are old, but i didnt even consider them. oh and the car acually pulls at high speeds to that side, not to hard but enough.

Last edited by nckyblntz; 09-02-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Strut doesn't affect camber, but if it is worn it will allow the suspension to move too freely. Have you checked the radius/strut rod bushings? Follow the rod from the lower control arm that goes forward to radiator support. If it is worn it will allow the lower arm to move forward and backward during acceleration and braking. Since at rest it won't move the alignment techs could have missed it. I don't remember how visible it is on that generation but the plastic covers may hide the bushing from view.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nckyblntz
... oh and the car acually pulls at high speeds to that side, not to hard but enough.
That's another piece of evidence saying out-of-alignment (regardless of the numbers). It's always possible that shop's equipment is out-of-alignment. If a different shop says the same thing, THEN you can really believe the numbers.

Another reason for pulling is mis-matched tires side-to-side. But unfortunately, your one tire is already worn funny, possibly THAT is now causing the pull.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM

thanks for responses ! the radius/strut rod is in great shape i checked it all out again yesterday with a very qualified tech and we found no damaged bushings or ball joints. I am buying new tires, cause i have to, but i would really like to figure out why im chewin up this tire. i could not find print out, but i think you might be right Jim. I am going to another alignment shop and explaining to them that tires must have camber adjusted.