General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 V6 will crank, but not start.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Default 2007 V6 will crank, but not start.....

Hello all. I know there are various topics already covering this, but I'm kind of stuck. I've got a 2007 V6 LX sedan, with 100,000+ miles. Earlier this year I had the timing belt/chain replaced (with the tensioner, water pump, and serpentine belt). Last night I started the car and pulled it into the garage, no problem. This morning, It cranks, but won't start. I checked these forums and others. I removed one spark plug and checked for spark. It's there. I get the fuel pump priming and I can smell it getting to the engine. Still will simply crank but not get going! I don't have a Haynes/Chilton manual at this time, but I find that forums like these are usually just as good. Looking for some other suggestions. My biggest fear is that the timing belt or something related, is the problem. Is there a way to check anything related to this, without tearing apart the car? If it is the timing belt is my engine screwed at this point? Thanks all

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is Check Engine Light staying on? If yes, get codes for best clue to problem.

Was an alarm set? Any chance the battery is weak? This can cause no-start.

Timing belt failure would indeed cause damage, but since replaced this does not seem likely. You can check timing belt by rotating crankshaft to TDC (w/ a ratchet, extensions, and 19mm socket) and checking camshaft positions (there an opening in timing belt covers to allow inspection. Note, camshafts could be aligned w/ TDC or 180 off. If 180 off rotate crankshaft 360 back to TDC and camshafts should align to TDC.

Inquiries on forum are no substitute for a shop manual, if you intend to DIy. Check automanualsource.com for a $22 download manual.

good luck

Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM

I charged the battery overnight, jsut to be sure (and because I cranked it several times during the day). It started in the morning, but not right away and was a little rough after. I caught up with a friend of a friend who used to work as a honda mechanic and he felt it was a flooded engine. He said I could probably change the spark plugs if I felt the need, though they usually are fine for quite sometime even after 100000 miles. I don't know how it would have flooded in the first place, though I can understand after attempting to start several times. Strange. Thanks for the manual source, I'm definitely going to get one.