General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Accord: Rear brake help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
rtprthd
Unregistered
Default 2008 Accord: Rear brake help needed

My dad bought a brand new 2008 4cyl. Accord sedan less than a year ago. It has approx. 20,000 mi. on it. The service rep at the dealership said that he needs new rear brakes already. The rep said in 2008 Honda put a new brake system in the Accord that makes the rear brakes go out a lot faster than usual. I thought this sounded a bit ridiculous, and I didn't know what to tell my dad. I'd appreciate any help, explanations, or advice. It's a bit ridiculous to have to change rear brakes every year.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

This seems to be a frequent problems with the 08 accords. A few honda mechanics have told me that this is the only major problem they've seen with the 08 accords. My dad just got a 09 accord so I hope this doesn't happen to him. The rear brake pads on his 01 accord with 165k miles still has not been changed so 20k is ridiculous. Front pads should last you around 40k miles. In my opinion the rapid wear on the rear pads could be from the pads constantly in contact with the rotor. You can check this by finding an empty highway and drive a few miles without using the brakes. Then slowly pull over to the side without braking and get out to check to see if the rear rotors are hot. My other theory is that the electronic brake distribution system on the new accord is faulty. It could be using way too much rear brake.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Smile

I have a 2008 accord ex 4 cyl and my car recently started making a squeaking noise. I just took into the shop today to figure out what the noise is and they told me my rear pads are gone. Not even worn, but GONE. I just hit 25K this month. It is completely ridiculous that these cars go through rear pads this quickly. I went on other forums to only hear the same complaints. Good luck to your father on making the rear pads last but the mechanic told me he has seen these pads go as quickly as 15K. I would advise a ceramic pad for the rear if they make them. I have not looked into them yet, but i would NOT and WILL not use another Honda brake pad.

GOOD LUCK

Old 11-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Default Rear brake pads

I also have a '08 Accord and after 28k miles I experienced wear sensors making noise from the rear. The dealer told me that I was lucky to get 28k miles on the rear brakes. "Most need replaced after 25K miles". It is only the INSIDE rear break pads that were worn out. Front brakes had plenty of life left.
I called Honda Cusomer Releations (800-999-1009) and filed a complaint. I don't know how much good it will do, but if enough people complain, maybe we can shame them into responding.
For more experiences go to carcomplaints.com and search "Honda brake problems"

Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM

I would definitely do exactly as bunker did and file a complaint with Honda. If enough people do it, Honda may find a way to fix it and have a recall where they will fix the problem for free. That is crazy that they go out that fast, and I have seen a bunch of people complaining about it.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Premature rear brake wear

Does anyone know if any corrective actions, by Honda, have been put in place, to correct this? What recourse if any is available?

Thanks,

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM

I have an 09 accord EXL. Just had the rear brake pads replaced at 20,700 miles... Anyone heard of a fix by Honda??

Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 AM

tglandon, I have not heard anything from Honda on this. I did call and file an official complaint. I am curious, did you go with the factory replacement shoes?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 AM

I don't think it is hondas pads at all. I believe it is the size of the tabs on the outside of the pads that hold it in place. My mechanic took one look at it and said that the pads couldn't slide at all and that was a problem. If the pads can't slide then they will stick, which in turn will cause them to wear down to nothing like mine did. I lost my rear pads at 25k and had them replaced. I now have 40k on mine and the pads look barely worn. My mechanic used aftermarket ceramic pads and had to grind down the tabs on the actual pads and now the pads slide fine. My suggestion to anyone buying this car would be to have the pads installed correctly from the time of purchase and that should solve all problems.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

It's pretty common for the brake pad backing plates to need some trimming (usually just removing the thickness of the paint). I've had to do that on several different cars (not just Honda) and aftermarket pads too.

It's also a real good thing to make yourself aware of whether the brakes are dragging. You can feel the subtle drag when you're moving real slow, especially with a manual transmission.

Quick Reply: 2008 Accord: Rear brake help needed