General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Accord: Rear brake help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

There is not any Service Bulletins or Service News about 07,08,09 Accords 'Rear Brakes' on the Honda Interactive Network.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 PM

When the dealership replaced my pads, he didn't give me a choice. I have an email into him about this rear brake issue and he hasn't responded. I asked him if the rears where out every 20K how long they will replace them for free!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Default Free?

My dealer stated that brake shoes are a 'wear' item and not covered under warranty. My dealer charged: Parts-$60 Labor-$74.95

I guess I'm not clear as to what tabs that need to be trimmed on replacement pads. Can you please explain further?
Thx.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

The caliper braket doesn't have it's own part number but it's over to the right within the box labeled 5/6. There's a couple clips (#10) in that bracket, and the pads fit into that bracket.

The top & bottom of each pad fits into those clips (#10) and often they're very tight. You just have to figure out which face of the pad's backing plate is too fat, too tight, whatever. File a little bit to make the pads fit nicely without being wedged stuck in place.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Thumbs up Worth a check

Thanks JimBlake! That's great information. It is worth checking, and could be a possible cause.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Default 2008, 2009 ACCORD rear brake issueH

Honda is aware of the problem. Here is the latest. IF the rotors are metal on metal and salvageable, then all labor and parts are free with the exception of the cost of turning the rotors. If they are not salvageable, then everything is free. They then put a spring in between the rotor and the pad so the pad does not ride on the rotor 24x7. That is the situation.

You hear all these "they said they would pay half", "they said they would charge me only for labor", thats all basically the rotor cost.

They quoted me 110$ to turn the two rotors, assuming they were usable. I said if they are, let me know I will take them to napa for 10$ and bring them back. One was, one wasn't, they didn't charge me a dime to repair the brakes.

They are aware and I think are being very reasonable. It sucks that it even exists, and I got a smart *** answer from Honda America when I called to find out what the plans to take care of this were. They said "would you feel better if it were the front brakes", no, not when the car has 24K miles,

The dealer explained this to me (what I told you about the official position) and I dont think anyone who has normal miles will have to pay for a brake job, provided they go to Honda and not a brake place. I know one person who said "I heard they were not doing anything about it so I took it to aamco", and I said, "I took mine to the dealer and it was free". He tried to get them to reimburse him but sorry, no chance.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 PM

I talked with the service manager and he said that Honda is aware of the problem and working on the fix. He was familiar with the issue and was thinking that they might use different material in the pads. But he is waiting on Honda. Just like we are... Does anyone know what rear brakes are on the Acura TL's??

Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

One way to see if they're interchangable...
Go to TireRack.com & pretend you're buying rear brake pads. See if the 2 cars use the same part number for any particular brake pad (like maybe if brand XYZ is available for both cars).
Dealer part numbers might not line up (Acura part# vs Honda part#) even if the pads are identical.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Default interchange

Or go to checker or autozone, napa, one of those sites and look it up. If part # is same, then its same. THe issue isn't the honda brake pads. If it was, then all 8 would wear out. Its only the inside back. They are not sure what the problem is, but as I stated, I was told the pad rides on the rotor 24x7. So they claim by putting a spring between it and the rotor to lift it off should stop the premature wear.

My pads on every other surface were at least 3/8" thick, almost new. Only the rear inside. So I think until the overall issue is resolved with the brakes, it would happen with any pad.

I asked why it wasn't a recall. Answer: its not a safety issue, and its not affecting every car. Its random. It seems dumb, get them in, put the spring in, before they have to put rotors and pads, but I dont make Hondas decisions. I think it is a safety issue, but they say no one has died, no cars have wrecked, no cars have caught on fire, so I guess they have a point. People hear the noise and bring them in. I guess is cheaper to fix them as they break as opposed to recalling how many hundreds of thousands of cars 2008 and 2009, and the bad press it brings. I was frustrated but they did take care of it. I was inconvenienced with no car for a day, but I can deal with that. I thought I was facing a huge repair after reading some of the posts. I dont think they were accurate because Hondas position is very clear as I posted 2 posts ago. Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM

Hello ,
I'm new to this forum & I hope I'm not guilty of "thread hijacking". I'm posting this because I went to the dealership today for parts and spoke w/ my buddy @ the parts counter who asked the service adviser re: Accord rear brake problem. The guy states that Honda WILL REPLACE for free the pads only if the vehicle has less that 29K miles on it. My buddy showed me the fix for the problem. it's a regular brake pad w/ 2 holes on top (about equally spaced in thirds )for placing spring ends & I guess the other end of the metal wire (spring) fits somewhere on the caliper. I just wanted to share this w/ everyone.
Thanks, Ruyd1

Quick Reply: 2008 Accord: Rear brake help needed