General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Honda Accord Coupe LX (Door lock actuator)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Default 2008 Honda Accord Coupe LX (Door lock actuator)

Hey fellas,

I am having a problem with my 2008 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2.4 liter engine vehicle. Recently over the last few weeks it's been very difficult to get inside my vehicle. The battery in my car keys died and I have been using the key to manually open the car door. However, it became harder and harder to open the door as the key didn't seem to 'catch'. Ultimately, it stopped working at all, as I believe the threads on the key have worn away. After this happened I finally replaced the battery in my car key and that didn't help much. The car still won't unlock, but the lock feature and pop the trunk buttons work. Also, when I was driving the car the car usually automatically locks my door at around 20mph, however only the passenger door would lock, not the driver side. Any thoughts on the problem? I'm hearing the door lock actuator might need to be replaced? Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a bit confused on your post. When you use the remote with new battery to unlock the car, only the driver's door doesn't unlock?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Your post is a bit confusing. Sounds like the driver's door has a problem unlocking and also locking?

Unless it is a switch problem; on your car, the door lock actuator and latch is one assembly. It is not separate like some previous generation Accords. So, if it is an electrical problem with the actuator or a mechanical problem with the latch, it is replaced as a whole.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion I may have caused.

I can only manually open the car door by placing the car key into the door. But most times when I put the car key into the door it won't open, as the key doesn't turn all the way to unlock the door (even the spare key doesn't allow me to enter the car). I do get lucky from time to time and the key 'catches' and I am able to open the door.

With the remote feature on the car key, when I hit the unlock button it doesn't unlock any of the doors. When I was able to get into the car I left the driver door open to test the remote car key to see if it would lock the door. I hit the lock feature on the key, but only the passenger door locked not the driver side.

Hope this info helps. If you have any more questions or need more clarification I'll help you best I can.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Most likely actuator/latch needs replacement.

If you remove the door panel, you can test the driver's door actuator.

Next to the latch area is a white 10-P harness connector. Disconnect the connector and apply 12V battery power and ground to the following terminals on the actuator side:

(They are the top row terminals on the connector, using the tab as a reference.)

To lock:
Terminal no. 1 (Orange wire) +
Terminal no. 2 (Yellow wire) -

To unlock:
Terminal no. 1 (Orange wire) -
Terminal no. 2 (Yellow wire) +

To prevent damage to actuator if it is good, only momentarily apply battery voltage.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll have someone give that a try for me since I'm not the world's best mechanic. Also by chance do you know the part number or a site where I could order a replacement actutator if that is what indeed has gone bad? When scouring the internet it seems like a very difficult part to come upon.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

The driver's side Honda part number should be 72150-TE0-A12.

You'll probably need a service manual to properly remove the door panel and latch. Plus, proper tools. It will be a little difficult to loosen the 3 phillips screws that hold the latch to the door frame without the proper tools.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Just wanted to give a status update on the car. It seems it was the door lock actuator that was malfunctioning. I ordered the part you suggested Redbull-1 (thanks very much) and once it was installed the doors have been unlocking and locking with no problems. Thanks for all the help it was much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome. Good to hear the issue is resolved, many times we don't know the outcome as people don't come back regarding whether something is resolved or not.