General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repeated door lock actuator failure - 2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Default Repeated door lock actuator failure - 2008

I have a 2008 that I've had to replace all 4 power door lock actuators under warranty, and now 2 more of the replaced ones are failing again. Now that I'm going through it for the second time, I notice they fail in pairs by side. The driver's side failed first, and it's the same side that is failing again. I have to expect the passenger side will be next.

I find it hard to accept that in 3 years I'll end up with 3 sets of actuators (factory, replacement, and replacement again) on a Honda. Has anyone else experienced repeated failure of door locks? It's beyond frustrating. Against my better judgment at the time, I purchased an extended warranty. I'll definitely get my money's worth from it if this continues. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM

I have an 08 Accord EX-L sedan. The drivers side door actuator is failing, again. This will be the third door actuator on the drivers side. All the other doors have been replaced as well.

This issue combined with the rear disc brake pad issue has convinced me Honda America has hit bottom when it comes to quality.

I intend to send a snail mail letter to Honda America informing them that after my extended warranty expires they will provide me with free door actuator replacements for the life of the car or I will get a class action lawsuit started on this issue.

Sadly, the threat of or an actual lawsuit seems to be the only way to get someone's attention these days.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Are the failing electrically or mechanically? Earlier years had some mechanical problems, but the actuator drive solenoid kept attempting to drive the door lock mechanism.

good luck

Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Are the failing electrically or mechanically? Earlier years had some mechanical problems, but the actuator drive solenoid kept attempting to drive the door lock mechanism.

good luck
yes, they are failing mechanically. They do try to keep locking the door while you're driving, which is incredibly annoying if you don't just lock it manually to make it stop.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by xct84
I have an 08 Accord EX-L sedan. The drivers side door actuator is failing, again. This will be the third door actuator on the drivers side. All the other doors have been replaced as well.

This issue combined with the rear disc brake pad issue has convinced me Honda America has hit bottom when it comes to quality.

I intend to send a snail mail letter to Honda America informing them that after my extended warranty expires they will provide me with free door actuator replacements for the life of the car or I will get a class action lawsuit started on this issue.

Sadly, the threat of or an actual lawsuit seems to be the only way to get someone's attention these days.
Great point about the brake pads too. Let me know if you are successful in your request for lifetime lock actuator replacement.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Unhappy Late to the party but

the story is the same. We're on our 3rd set of rear pads - though we've got about 2 years on them now, knock on wood.

However, the magical door lock actuator mystery tour has only just begun. After stopping to park the car, we look back to see if the back door locks are unlocked when we think they are, and then manually set them that way. This allows us to lock out with the alarm when we leave the vehicle. Keeping doors locked when we're under way is another story.

Any suggestions on a systematic way to begin would be most welcome.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:02 AM

Start wil the dealer. Be polite and see what they will do for you. It is a common problem and is well known. If they are unable to do anything contact Honda Motor Corp. to report the problem and see if they will help. Sometimes dealers with permission for the Corp. will do repairs for free. No matter the outcome, remember Honda is a good company to work with and they will do what they can to keep their customers happy, unlike other vehicle manufactures.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Re post

I have an 07 Accord EX. I'm getting ready to install my second driver side door actuator in a year. And looking at other options I came across a way to not have to deal with Hondas failing parts. Just install an aftermarket alarm system that comes with the door actuators they come in either two or four actuator packages. I found a viper 3100 alarm system with four actuators, two remotes, remote start in a 1 mile range for 60 bucks online. If you're capable of installing a car stereo, then you should be able to install this alarm yourself for free. If not, you can take it to anybody who can install car stereos and they will charge you between 60 and 120 bucks to install it. I have had mine in my car now for 6 months and it works flawlessly. Your Honda alarm still sets when you lock the door. Your key immobilizer still works. So in effect you now have a dual alarm system. You no longer have to worry about the key fob working or not. You just use your new remote.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Tryinglikehell2
I have an 07 Accord EX. I'm getting ready to install my second driver side door actuator in a year. And looking at other options I came across a way to not have to deal with Hondas failing parts. Just install an aftermarket alarm system that comes with the door actuators they come in either two or four actuator packages. I found a viper 3100 alarm system with four actuators, two remotes, remote start in a 1 mile range for 60 bucks online. If you're capable of installing a car stereo, then you should be able to install this alarm yourself for free. If not, you can take it to anybody who can install car stereos and they will charge you between 60 and 120 bucks to install it. I have had mine in my car now for 6 months and it works flawlessly. Your Honda alarm still sets when you lock the door. Your key immobilizer still works. So in effect you now have a dual alarm system. You no longer have to worry about the key fob working or not. You just use your new remote.
What brand door actuator are you buying. I too have an 07 Accord EX-L which I bought in 06 and have not had any issues with my actuators or alarm system. I once left my windows down for 2 weeks while away on a trip and it rained most of the time I was glad that it only ruined the leather on the front seats and I had no electrical issues. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.