General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 Accord EX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Default 2009 Accord EX Owner

Hey guys,

I have a 2009 Accord EX V4 with about 20k on it. It's been a great car so far. I had a 1988 Civic before this that I drove until it wouldn't start reliably and the repairs were costing more than the car was worth.

The main reason I'm here is that I'm getting frustrated with some of the federally mandated "safety" features that Honda dealerships cannot/will not turn off. I would love some help if it's not against the rules here to explain how to disable features on the car. I read the FAQ and didn't see anything in particular that prohibited it.

What I would like to turn off is the VSA, seat belt reminder chime and the daytime running lights.

I live in Minnesota and the VSA makes winter driving almost impossible. I turn it off manually on a regular basis but occasionally forget, and when I forget, get stuck in the snow. Anyone with a decent amount of experience driving in the snow knows you have to spin your tires at times to prevent yourself from getting stuck.

The other two things are major annoyances but don't affect the drivability of the car. I like to have complete control over my car and would really like to turn off the nanny-state features that the government has forced on the automotive industry. For the record, I do wear my seat belt consistently, I just don't feel it's my car's job to tell me to do so (my mom already drilled that into my head years ago). I'm aware of the various workarounds (seat belt extenders, cutting wires, pulling the speaker out of the dash, etc) but would like to turn off the reminder without turning my airbag into a deadly weapon and still be able to hear other, more valid warnings like the maintenance reminders.

If anyone can help me with this here or direct me to the proper section of the forums to ask these questions I would really appreciate it. If I can work out these small issues with the car I plan on owning it for a long time. If you want to know more about me, the car or my reasons for asking these questions, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance.

-Adam

Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 PM

BTW, I saw this thread but there's no actual answer in it:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cord+seat+belt

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Supper Moderator

welcome enjoy your stay. Post your questions in the Gen Tech area....we get more traffic in that parts of the forum.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member and Happy Holidays

Thank you for joining up with us here in the HAF...

Please post in the correct forums and make sure you read the posting rules..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Accord EX Owner-xmassimages5.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM

im pretty sure that you can just remove a fuse to turn off the running lights but I dont know which one. as per the others I dono.