General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Accord Sedan Center Rear Seat Belt cut, howto replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Default 2010 Accord Sedan Center Rear Seat Belt cut, howto replace?

Hi,

Due to my kid getting wrapped up in the rear seat's center seat belt, my wife ended up cutting him out because the ratchet mechanism wasn't letting go and the kid was having trouble breathing. I've ordered a new unit from the dealer, so I'm looking for some hints on how to replace it.

It won't be a problem to get at the lower anchor, plenty of room to get a socket in there to unbolt the bottom. Just need to make sure I don't lose any washers down in there, and that I keep the order the same as now.

Looking at the top unit, it's not clear how big a deal it will be. I see there's a single bolt in the trunk which looks to anchor the unit in place. But do I need to remove the entire shelf under the rear window to get at the unit, or can I go in through the trunk and do all the work from that side?

I'm pretty darn handy, and I've done work on other cars to fix things, so I'm happy to do this, just need to know what order to pull things out.

Thanks,
John

Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

The best way to get the information you need is to get a shop manual. I got one as a pdf on Ebay for $21.99 from automanualsource as the seller. It is well worth the investment if you plan on DIY work on your accord.

Others have posted that you can sign up on Autozone's site, and they have manuals that you can access. I am not sure how much information they have.

The proper way to do it likely would be to remove the bottom part of the back seat and the top tray to replace the rear seat belt.

If you look at the warranty information, the seat belt may be covered with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure if your situation would be covered, but it can't hurt to ask the dealership about this.