General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HowTo:92 Honda Accord Fuel system troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question HowTo:92 Honda Accord Fuel system troubleshoot

Howdy folks,
i am new to this forum. I have a '92 Accord 209k miles. I bought it (April 2009) it pass smog with no issues.
I changed spark plug and did fuel ejection system cleaning. i also took it to a mechanic because while i was changing the spark plugs, i noticed oil leak in the plugs, they changed "gaskit" seals and the oil disappeared!

now for the past 2-3 weeks, when i am driving in the freeway, if i am going between 60 - 75 miles it will studier( raddle and lose power), either i flare it or step on the accelerator to keep it going. i changed the spark plugs again and changed the air filter but i noticed the plugs were in a good shape and they looked that they were burning alright.

my dad said that i should start checking the fuel system and start by changing the "Fuel filter" and hope it is the problem, if it is still doing it , then it could be that the fuel pump is about to die. so i went and bought a "fuel filter for $15" i tried to replace it but couldn't get the darn screws even after applying "WD40". so i blam it on my dad he doesn't know what he is talking about
Anyways to make long story short, i stumbled here and i read about ECM. and i got CODE 43(Fuel System) and CODE 1(Oxygen sensor #1).

so my question is How can i troubleshoot the Fuel system folks? and can i change the Oxygen sensor #1 on my own?

your prompt response to this matter will be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Old 03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Code 1 and 43 are related. If your car is an LX/DX the sensor is on the exhaust manifold and will be easier to access. The EX accord has them on the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter.

Replacing and O2 sensor involves unplugging the old sensor's electrical connector, then unscrew the old sensor. It may be stuck and I have used a propane torch on those before I tried to unbolt them.

There are special O2 sensor sockets that prevent damaging the electrical wire when installing. When putting in the new sensor, use a bit of anti-seize so it doesn't get stuck.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default thank you

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Code 1 and 43 are related. If your car is an LX/DX the sensor is on the exhaust manifold and will be easier to access. The EX accord has them on the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter.

Replacing and O2 sensor involves unplugging the old sensor's electrical connector, then unscrew the old sensor. It may be stuck and I have used a propane torch on those before I tried to unbolt them.

There are special O2 sensor sockets that prevent damaging the electrical wire when installing. When putting in the new sensor, use a bit of anti-seize so it doesn't get stuck.
Thank you for your quck response. i will have to check on the sensor(can you point me to a diagram, or manual at least i could see if i am on the right place). keep in mind i am not a car guy although i would love to learn.

what about the fuel system troubleshooting? any tips on that!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

A shop manual will help you out with the troubleshooting. In the online manuals thread in the DIY section, I posted a link to a site with a 91 shop manual. That is pretty much the same setup as your 92 accord.

The codes and testing are in the fuel/emissions section.

When you troubleshoot a code 1, it says that you go to the code 43 to troubleshoot since you have that code too. The code 1 and code 43 are related. The code 43 "fuel supply problem" description can be misleading, because a malfunctioning O2 sensor can cause that code 43 to pop up.

You may not be able to do all of the tests described in the manual. If you search the forums for code 43, replacing the O2 sensor is the solution ~95% of the time.