General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Accord draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Default 2011 Accord draining battery

I have a 2011 accord 4cly that the battey went dead after sitting for a few days. I was able to jump start the car, but found that after a few days on not driving the car I had a dead battery again. This happend again a third time and I replaced the battery with a new Diehard 700 CCA. This lasted for a few weeks then again the same problem. I took it in to the dealer where they did a parasitic draw test, but found nothing. They recharged the battery and told me that the battery was never fully charged. Humm.. the following week the same problem. I brought it back to another dealer, where they preformend some additional tests and replaced the AC compressor relay.. Things were ok for two weeks then the same problem again.. This time the car sat for a week and the battery was at only 2.5 VDC. I could not jump the battery, so I put the charger on it for a a few hours and then was able to start it then. I have now startyed doing some testing on my own. After the car is driven ( back and forth to work) I have started taking voltage measurements. I appears that agter sitting 8 to 10 hrs the voltage drops between .75 vdc to 1.0 vdc.
Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM

I would start disconnecting the ground to all the electrical items possible, one at a time. What I mean to say is disconnect one ground, let it sit overnight, check...and so on till you find your culprit.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Since this is a new accord, this should be covered under warranty. There has to be a current draw on the battery.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Default Still having issues

Once again the battery drained down after not driving the car for over 40 hours. The battery voltage was down to 9.4 VDC. I brought the car back to the dealer and they now found that the drain was caused by the drivers side window switch. The dealer replaced the defective switch and let the car sit for two additional days. They feel that this corrected the problem... I let the car sit for two days and took a voltage reading it now at 11.4 the car started, but I don't think that the voltage should drop one volt in less than 48 hrs.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Default I have same problem

I purchased 2012 Accord, the battery died couple times already. I even have to call tow truck (less than 1000 miles) to jump the car. Worst time is I use the car on Sat 2PM. Sunday 5 PM the car won't start. Dealer told me the battery is good, but suggest me to disconnect the negative cable if I do not use for couple days... ????? I live in LA, so NO cold weather to affect the battery. ....... Any suggestion ? The car less than 1500 miles.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Default Problem Fixed

Group,
The problem with my car was finally located to be a pinched wire in the drivers door. It appears that it would NEVER let one of the computers go into sleep mode. Since its has been repaired I have not experienced the problem.
Good luck..It only took seven tries and three dealers to find and repair my problem.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Default Pre-installed Alarm?

This morning (after 72 hrs did not use the car) took me >10 mins to jump start the car. OK. This is my third time in 8 days to sent in but same dealer. (Not the one I purchased the car). I talked to service mgr and he found a little box around the radio. He told me that is a pre installed alarm. ("Some dealer do that, if you do not purchase the alarm, they will took it out".. quote his word). He think this is the problem. I left the car over the weekend to let them to found out the problem. Does Honda dealer should rent me a car when my car in the shop for couple days? Car only has 1600 miles.