General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Accord OBDII Monitors Incomplete

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 03:33 PM
Exclamation 2012 Accord OBDII Monitors Incomplete

Hello,
My 2012 Accord LX Coupe is failing the functional inspection of the emissions test due to incomplete monitors. More specifically, the Catalyst Monitor, Oxygen Sensor Monitor, Oxygen Sensor Heater and EGR System according to my OBDII Reader:

A mechanic I went to suggested that I drive for 30-50 miles at 50-60 mph, which I did yet it still did nothing.

Then I referred to the owner's manual of my car which suggested that I do the following:
  • Fill gas to 3/4 of the tank
  • Have the vehicle parked for at least 6 hours (I just kept it parked overnight)
  • Idle the engine for 20 seconds in park
  • Keep the vehicle in park, increase engine speed to 2000 RPM and hold it until the temperature gauge rises to 1/4 of the scale
  • Let the engine idle for 20 seconds again while still in park without touching the acceleration pedal
  • Drive 50-60 mph for 20 minutes and drive for 90 seconds without moving the acceleration pedal
  • Drive in city/suburban traffic for 10 minutes and let the vehicle coast for several seconds with touching the accelerator pedal or brake
  • Park the car with the engine off for 30 minutes
I did all of this yet the monitors still say "incomplete" on my reader. Have no idea what's going on. Also no, I never replaced or unplugged the battery on my car. I'll try this method again soon and I'll post an update if anything changes but in the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions on what can be done to get these monitors ready, the help would be greatly appreciated.

**UPDATE**
I performed the same procedure on my way back from work, then I checked the monitors on my OBDII reader, but this time I selected the first option, "Since DTCs cleared" instead of the second one "This Drive Cycle" on the I/M readiness menu like how you see in the pictures above and I noticed that all of the monitors I was having trouble with before were now "OK". I did a bit more research and found out that it's only the monitors on the "Since DTCs cleared" option that mattered for smog checking, so I immediately drove down to a smog check station and ta-dah! The smog check passed!
It's strange because in the past whenever I selected that first option in the I/M readiness menu, all of the monitors said "N/A" so I kind of disregarded it thinking it wasn't calculating anything as the second option seemed to be giving me actual results, but I guess me doing those driving procedures from the official instruction manual twice triggered the actual results to appear in that first option. Hope my experience from this is of any help to anyone else facing similar issues as I did.

Last edited by hn9090; 07-28-2022 at 09:47 PM.