General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Accord SE Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 PM
Default 2012 Accord SE Shifting Problems

Hi guys...I am new to this thread and was hoping for some help....I have a 2012 Accord SE i bought for my wife and now the transmission seems to shift hard....The D was flashing and check engine light one P0962) and the mechanic changed out the single Solenoid on top of the transmission. The D stopped flashing and check engine light went away. He added 2 quarts of Honda Transmission Fluid. Does this Solenoid need to run for a bit for it to start working? It still shifts hard on 1st gear when going into drive from park....When going to reverse the jerk is not to hard. Do you guys think it could be the oil pressure switch or the other solenoid possibly ( the double in front of the transmission)? Or do you think the PCM needs to be reprogrammed? I am thinking about taking it to the dealer once i get some money together. Please help

Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds to me like the idle is TOO HIGH, if the tech had the battery disconnected, which I suspect he did, the idle relearn may need to be performed.

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
  2. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS. Or remove the underhood fuse 19 (back up FI ECU for a few minutes)
  3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
  4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 °F (90 °C).
  5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

Last edited by Dr. Drivability; 03-23-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
Sounds to me like the idle is TOO HIGH, if the tech had the battery disconnected, which I suspect he did, the idle relearn may need to be performed.

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
  2. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS. Or remove the underhood fuse 19 (back up FI ECU for a few minutes)
  3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
  4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 °F (90 °C).
  5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
Thank you i will try that when i get home...yea the battery was disconnect for a bit..

Old 03-24-2016, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by jits1980
Thank you i will try that when i get home...yea the battery was disconnect for a bit..
I got the tempature up to 200 degrees and the fan still did not kick in. ..is that a problem inhad the scanner plugged in so i knew it got to correct temperature. ..then i waited for 5 mins but problem didnt solve...do.you think i have a bad fan?