General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Honda Accord LX. Gas smell in oil stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Default 2012 Honda Accord LX. Gas smell in oil stick

Hello everyone,
I have a 2012 Accord which approx 40k. I owned for about 7 months.
Recently, I noticed a gas smell in the oil stick, the car is not running as smooth as it used to be, I feel it's slightly noisier in rev. There's NO check engine light coming up.
Any help would be most appreciated
Thanks

Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Some gassy smell in oil is normal, particularly if car is driven for short drives and does not fully warm on a regular basis. Regular drives of 30 mins or more can allow gas to vaporize and be returned to engine via PCV system.

If you have a scanner w/ capability to monitor Long Term and Short Term Fuel Trim, these may give an indication of a rich condition progressing (higher than 5% negative LTFT. Since no check engine light, the problem may not exist. You may also detect a pending code related to your problem.

good luck

Old 04-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Some gassy smell in oil is normal, particularly if car is driven for short drives and does not fully warm on a regular basis. Regular drives of 30 mins or more can allow gas to vaporize and be returned to engine via PCV system.

If you have a scanner w/ capability to monitor Long Term and Short Term Fuel Trim, these may give an indication of a rich condition progressing (higher than 5% negative LTFT. Since no check engine light, the problem may not exist. You may also detect a pending code related to your problem.

good luck
TexasHonda, Thank you for your advice. I will try to get the scanner.