General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Honda Accord transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Default 2013 Honda Accord transmission fluid

I have no idea of how to check the transmission fluid level, and the fill up hole located at the front of the engine is just that, a fill up hole. There is no stick to measure.

I have been reading online, the advise from a mechanic who says that it is not a good idea to wait for the manufacturer suggestion for replacing the new cars transmission fluid after 90,000 miles and up.

He says that if the new car's transmission fluid is assumed to last 100,000 miles, even so, that is a good preventive action the replacement of the transmission fluid before that.

He says that when it reaches the 100,000 miles, that fluid will be so dark and sticky, that probably has caused some damage to the transmission.

So, he suggested to replace at least partially, the transmission fluid when it reaches 30,000 miles, 60,000 miles, 90,000 miles, and so forth.

Doing so, the transmission fluid won't reach the black and sticky status found when one waits for too long for its replacement.

Now, I was thinking to flush the transmission fluid, but as Honda is not releasing any service manual for the model year 2013, I want to drop the transmission fluid from the bottom tank, and measure the amount, and replace it with the same amount of new transmission fluid.

My vehicle has reached already the 30,000 miles, so I think I must start following the suggestion given by this mechanic, a suggestion that for me it really makes sense.

Even so, I am asking here if what I intend to do is worthy. I think the bottom tank might hold three to four quarters of transmission fluid, and replacing them periodically every 30,000 miles won't do any harm to my vehicle but on the contrary will give it a new and clean fluid to be mixed with the old one.

Any suggestion or professional advise is welcomed.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of transmission do you have? The Accord have CVT, manual, and automatic (the automatic is different than the CVT). If it is the CVT, then see this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...13-ex-l-58608/

Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 PM

On the CVT style you will need to remove the air filter box from the car and on top to the transmission there will be a 17mm head bolt which is what is removed for filling the transmission. If you drain and measure the amount of fluid that comes out and replace with new fluid of the same amount you should be fine. As always, first find the filler port and ensure you have found it prior to draining the fluid otherwise you will be stuck.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

There is no need to remove the air filter box to access the fill hole. It is just a plug covering the fill hole, the plug can be pulled out by hand.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
There is no need to remove the air filter box to access the fill hole. It is just a plug covering the fill hole, the plug can be pulled out by hand.
That is correct, and I own the CVT transmission model, so your link is the greatest help I have received so far, including the youtube video that is given as a link as well.

I'm happy now, I will buy the CVT fluid and do the maintenance job.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Just for clarification to readers of the other thread I linked, the youtube video in post #7 is for an engine oil and filter change, different that the CVT fluid change instructions I included. That was to answer pryna66's three part questions in post #6 of that thread.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a V6 six speed auto in my 2013 and the dealer has a 30,000 service scheduled for the trans.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 AM

Thanks for your help giving me links to check and replace the transmission fluid in my 2013 Honda Accord. My vehicle is the 4 cylinder model.

Something weird happened about the amount of transmission fluid.

I followed the instructions to rise up the car with jacks, the removing of the bolt to release the fluid, and just to let it go. I pulled out the filler cap but didn't remove it completely, so no dirt will go inside. I just did it to let air passing thru while releasing the fluid to the receiving pan at the bottom.

I used an empty ice tea gallon to pour the used fluid and make a mark on it, but it wasn't enough, and I had to use an additional small plastic cup to finish pouring the used fluid from the receiving pan.

The old HCF-2 transmission fluid came dark, not sticky but dark, very dark. I was very happy replacing it, I think it is a good idea doing it at 30,000 miles and forward.

I bought 4 quarters of HCF-2 Transmission fluid. But when I filled up the ice tea gallon, this amount of 4 quarters was short. So I went to the dealer and bought one more quarter, to compensate what was needed in the plastic gallon container, plus the small plastic cup.

What was needed wasn't much in reality, I think about 1/8 or 1/10 of the fifth quarter.

I know that the manual states different about the amount of transmission fluid, but my car has been working "perfectly" with the amount of fluid poured by the factory, so I replaced it with same amount of HCF-2.

(Talking with a neighbor about this situation, we both came in agreement that perhaps the amount of HCF-2 fluid in the containers was less than the assuming US quarter or 946ML. This is nothing uncommon, I saw bottles of soda (same brand and size) at the store filled up at different levels).

Is what I did correct, or I must level the vehicle, and pull the top bolt to check the level of fluid? I didn't do this step because I don't know what part of the car can be used to check when is leveled correctly. I thought that leveling the base of the transmission tank bottom is what is needed, but in the middle of my doubts, I just went by replacing the same amounts of fluid.