General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2014 Accord sunroof wind noise when open?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Default 2014 Accord sunroof wind noise when open?

I just bought a 2014 Accord two weeks ago and so far I love the car. But one thing I've found that I'm not so happy with is the amount of wind noise that comes through the sun roof when it's open at speeds above 40mph.

The last vehicle that I had with a sun roof was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I could have it open at 70mph and it was so quiet you would hardly know it was open, so I was disappointed in how noisy the Accord's sun roof is.

I have noticed that if I hold down the spring-up thing at the front of the roof it cuts the noise about 80%.

My questions are:
1. Is there an already known solution to the wind noise problem?
2. What is the purpose of the spring-up thing, and would it cause a problem if I fastened it down some how (i.e. tape, zip tie, etc)?
3. If it can't be fastened down then is there a replacement spring-up thing that cuts wind noise available?

Please note: I've been visiting internet forums for over a decade and have lost my tolerance for people who give useless answers, so if you're going to post something useless like "close the sun roof" or "drive slower" please don't even bother.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:12 PM

I don't know how to solve the wind noise problem, but I would advise against buying one of those plastic visors that cover the front of the moonroof. They don't really quiet the noise much IMO, they trap water under them, and just make it harder to clean under them. I would also advise against driving at high speeds with the moonroof open. the wind turbulence tends to pull the headliner fabric loose from the headliner. I only use the moonroof around town, at lower speeds, and close it out on the highway.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

That deflector is just for noise so shouldn't be any problem if you tape it down. It's possible that taping it down might hurt your MPG slightly?

Taping it down might make the noise worse for backseat passengers, so maybe it isn't completely useless.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Years ago in my CRX Si, I had wind air noise buffeting because the air deflector was not popping up as high as it should. There was less noise if it was held up slightly higher (just the opposite of what you're experiencing). Later I added an aftermarket air deflector on the CRX to not worry about it.

Subsequent to that on my other Accords, I no longer care that much about opening the moonroof while driving; and there wasn't much buffeting except at maybe highway speeds with the stock air deflector. The point I'm making is that, the stock deflector is generally beneficial if it is at the proper height. Check to see if the stock deflector is properly rising to the correct height. It is not perfect; but, it should be okay.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the responses.

There is a lot of air that comes in through the roof too, I hadn't thought about it possibly pulling the headliner loose, thanks especially to EXV6NIGHTHAWK for that tip.

It's actually my girlfriend who likes to ride with the roof open, I think I'll tell her to only open the roof around town and not on the highway.