General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 lx accord steering wheel idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 08:46 AM
Default 2016 lx accord steering wheel idle issue

Good morning. When I was parking and turned the steering wheel after arriving home, I turned the wheel to reverse into driveway and at that moment and also when I put in reverse to back up the rpm dropped and seems like it would start to stall, but the car didn't shut off, but the ac lowered from blowing high and the radio sounded like it was going to turn off but didn't. It did it only for a moment when I had the wheel turned a certain amount and the ac, radio and rpm issue would stop and it would return to normal. I tried it a few more time to see if it would repeat and it did it maybe 3 out of 5 times I repeated the process. it is an 2016 accord lx with just under 98,000 miles on it. this was yesterday. It didn't do it this morning when I went out to try same process. Thanks for any ideas or insight.

Last edited by arvj8; 09-15-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

The power steering uses an electric motor on your car, so turning the wheel in park puts a large electric load on the battery/alternator. A few items can cause the voltage to drop under PS motor load. The battery, alternator, the battery cables, or an electric PS motor drawing more amps than normal.

You can use a volt meter on the battery when the engine is off to see if the battery is at 12.6V. The battery should read >13.3V with the engine running. If you load the electrical system (radio, blower, high beams, etc..) the alternator should maintain voltage >13.3V. Look for any corrosion on the battery terminals. Parts stores can also test the battery/alternator system if you aren't good at electrical troubleshooting.