General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 6AT Noises - Normal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Default 2017 6AT Noises - Normal??

Recently bought a 2017 Touring V6 and have noticed several odd noises I'm not used to, especially since before this car I had a 2013 i4/CVT Coupe. I've come to learn the solenoid noises, and other common clicks and clunks as normal and the Honda ATs behave, feel and sound more like a manual transmission since they are not planetary gear transmissions. However, I'm hearing some noises that don't match any "normal" descriptions I've dad about. Getting a lot of gear lash noise when coasting downhill, ad. When applying very slight throttle. Sounds not unlike the 2016 Civic Si I had with similar gear lash noises that the dealer kept saying were normal. I get a whirring/rattle sound that doesn't seem to be in sync with when VCM Is active. I can't be sure of this though, since it does happen sometimes when I can feel the slight VCM vibration. The noise is only perceptible with the radio volume at 0 and the HVAC fan on low or OFF, so it's not loud enough that most people would even notice it.

What I've done: Thinking it could be an inner CV joint, I jacked the front wheels off the ground and let the engine idle while in drive. The wheels turned, but I didn't hear any sound at all. After a few seconds, I got several warnings on the dash: LKAS Problem, TPMS Problem, VSA Problem, CMBS Problem, Hill Start Assist System Problem. After a short drive and an ignition cycle, the errors went away. Before my stupid test,I was planning on just taking it to the dealer, but worried they'd just tell me either the couldn't replicate or that it was normal. Now I'm worried if I take it in, they will see the codes from the system faults. If those codes are stored, do you think the dealer will give me any grief? How long will they be stored?

I realize I may have messed up here, so now I'm contemplating driving the car a bit more to monitor the sound and maybe give enough time for the codes to clear, if they even will on their own. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to proceed. I want to get this documented so at least if it does become a problem, I've started the paper trail long before.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry about taking it in - if nothing else there is documentation that "something" isn't right.

If you can "make" the noise happen, take the service manager or one of the tech's along for a ride when you go.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 PM

I think my plan of action is going to be to drive the car around the roads near the dealer so I can give them a better chance of replicating the noise. I got a call that my plates were ready anyway, so I'll devise a route on Friday when I pick them up. Might even track down my salesman and explain I have a concern about a noise and would like to drive another V6/AT car to see if it's the same. By this time, I'll know the route to take the tester car on, and if it doesn't make the same noise, I'll schedule an appointment to have it looked at.