General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5,000 miles over scheduled oil change. Possible Engine Damage for 2006 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:03 PM
jeffersonkim
Unregistered
Default 5,000 miles over scheduled oil change. Possible Engine Damage for 2006 Accord?

UPDATE: This question is no longer relevant as I ended up getting a certified pre-owned with 4.9% APR over 5 years

I'm thinking of purchasing a used 2006 Honda Accord with 50,500 miles. The reading under the odometer reading on the dashboard electronically states that it's a little less than 5,000 miles over on service. I'm assuming that this notice is because they hadn't done an oil change.

My uncle, who's an auto mechanic, states that the engine sounds fine. We drove it around for about 5 minutes and he didn't hear any sort of knocking in the engine.

He states that the dip stick looks clean with no indication of burning oil, and that the oil on the dipstick didn't look too bad.

The oil levels on the dip stick were low. The marking on the oil level was halfway between the end of the stick, and the first dot. Normal oil levels would be between the first dot and the top dot.

My uncle is insistent that he doesn't see anything wrong with the oil levels being so low considering that this person was probably over due on an oil change, and that the low levels are due to the usual evaporation.

My father, who's also a long time mechanic, states that even though there may be no engine noise problem, that the damage to the engine has already been done. The low levels on the oil either mean two things:

1) The oil hasn't been changed for a long time.
2) The oil is being burned up by the engine or there's a leak.

I think my uncle was able to figure out it's not #2, but #1 seems to be the more likely culprit.

My dad is adamant that if the oil hasn't been changed, that it's GUARANTEED that there's an engine problem regardless of what my uncle may hear from the engine.

My uncle believes that you could be overdue for an oil change, and the engine can still be fine.

The previous owner didn't take care of the car very well. There are cigarette pot holes in the seats, and the tires are heavily worn. In addition, the service light was over 5,000 miles. Moreover, this individual had to turn the car into a credit agency because they no longer could afford the payments and were driving the car without registration.

QUESTION:
Considering the above, is it possible that my uncle is correct and is able to tell from his surface inspection that the engine is fine, or is my father correct in being able to say that there is engine damage GUARANTEED as indicated by the low engine oil levels?

Last edited by jeffersonkim; 11-17-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

See if the seller would be willing to let your mechanic dad take a look and pull the valve cover and the oil pan to see if there is any noticeable damage.

My guess is that whoever changed the oil last just didn't reset the maintenance reminder.

If you don't get a chance to peek inside the engine, I'd just pass on the car and have it be somebody else's problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

When you change oil, you have to reset that maintenance counter. So it's possible they changed the oil & didn't reset the counter.

It's also possible they didn't change the oil. Maybe they knew the bank was gonna reposses the car???

If you already owned the car & wanted to check for damage, you can have the oil analyzed at someplace like Blackstone labs. But if you don't own the car, is it worth the hassle of analyzing the oil?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 PM

I have a 2005 accord Hybrid. I use amsoil in my engine and I do oilchanges every 25000 miles!!!!! Absolutely no oil use. Dip stick stays at the same level, no sludge.

Your dad needs to read up on his material a bit.
If someone had hit the reset button and added a 1/2 a quart of oil you would already have bought the car..

fill it up with amsoil you will not regret it.

Funny thing:
when I bought he car I asked if it used synthetic. Sales guy said no and it was not recommended. That would be too slick for the engine

Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by nltomba
I have a 2005 accord Hybrid. I use amsoil in my engine and I do oilchanges every 25000 miles!!!!! Absolutely no oil use. Dip stick stays at the same level, no sludge.

Your dad needs to read up on his material a bit.
If someone had hit the reset button and added a 1/2 a quart of oil you would already have bought the car..

fill it up with amsoil you will not regret it.

Funny thing:
when I bought he car I asked if it used synthetic. Sales guy said no and it was not recommended. That would be too slick for the engine
You need to read up on your material a bit. The oil was barely on the dipstick, meaning it was 2 quarts low. The first mark is 1 quart low, the second (top) is full.

And you talked to a salesman about engine oil... did you expect a knowledgeable answer?

ScAmsoil? Why you would put something that's not API certified and costs tons of money in your engine?

Old 11-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Have no desire to pick a fight here so be happy with your dino oil.

You are the first one ever mentioning amsoil is a scam (without telling us why that would be or backing that up) so I cannot really take it seriously I guess.

Be happy with the new accord. you bought a great car

Old 11-17-2009, 05:28 PM

I have no desire to fight either, I just don't want someone to stumble through here and read "25,000 mile oil change" and go out and buy it without facts.

I don't use dino oil , I use Mobil1. ExxonMobil manufactures Honda Genuine Engine Oil to Honda specifications. As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to put in what the engineers specified the engine to use. Honda won't release what is different between Mobil1 and their Genuine Oil, but I have no reason to suspect they're different, or much different for that matter.

The reason I believe Amsoil is a scam (not to say that they're poducts don't work or aren't any good) is that, for years, they have mimicked API Service and API Certification labels to entice people to buy their products, when in fact most of their products do not carry an API certification. I am aware that their XL 7500 5W-20 and 5W-30 do carry API certification. I didn't see an API certification for their 25,000 mile oil, nor did I find it on Amsoil's website.

My main point is, fill your engine with whatever you want, but if you toast an engine under warranty and the dealer wants proof of oil changes for intervals and engine oil type, they're going to give the bill to the customer because you didn't use an oil that meets API Service or API Certification, as indicated in the owner's manual. It's just a "cover your ***" deal.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 AM

In 1972 amsoil was the first company to produce an API qualified synthetic Motor oil. Not mobil, shell or any other big company.
Again you are making statements in your post about amsoil this and that, but none of it with any reference to anything. Question is why they would have changed that and lie about it?

I don't use dino oil , I use Mobil1. ExxonMobil manufactures Honda Genuine Engine Oil to Honda specifications. As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to put in what the engineers specified the engine to use. Honda won't release what is different between Mobil1 and their Genuine Oil, but I have no reason to suspect they're different, or much different for that matter.
When we bought our accord we were told that Honda had a lube station for their customers. Cost for an oil change only $15.
That means that their oil must be dino oil, since you can not do an oilchange for $15 with syntetic motoroil

My main point is, fill your engine with whatever you want, but if you toast an engine under warranty and the dealer wants proof of oil changes for intervals and engine oil type, they're going to give the bill to the customer because you didn't use an oil that meets API Service or API Certification, as indicated in the owner's manual. It's just a "cover your ***" deal
Amsoil's website states too that with the proper use of amsoil an engine fails and the oil was to blaim they will pay for your engine.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf