General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60,000 Scheduled maitenance MOC Treatments?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Default 60,000 Scheduled maitenance MOC Treatments?

Hi Everyone,

I recently had my 03 accord in for a oil change and they told me that my next service would be $382. At that point I decided I was going to get a manual and do as much of the work as I can. Most seems fairly straightforward but there are some things listed as MOC treatments that I do not know what to use. Specifically, and I quote

-Install MOC premium Engine Additive
-Install MOC Fuel Injection Treatment
-INstall MOC Washer Solvent,

The engine additive appears to go in with the oil, fuel injector treatment in the fuel tank, and Washer solvent in the washer fluid tank. Are these treatments neccesary, and if so can you suggest a product for each one? (guy at the dealership said that the HONDA treatments are not sold in stores).

They also quoted me $109.95 to change the cabin air filter which is the biggest joke I have ever heard.

If I do start changing my oil, transmission fluid, coolant ect, where should I take the used fluids and does anyone know how much I will be charged to dispose of the stuff?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Default RE: 60,000 Scheduled maitenance MOC Treatments?

ORIGINAL: jarede7

If I do start changing my oil, transmission fluid, coolant ect, where should I take the used fluids and does anyone know how much I will be charged to dispose of the stuff?
AutoZone or Advance Auto parts will take the used fluid off your hands for free

I've never heard of MOC treatments...

Old 05-16-2008, 02:49 PM

So I called MOC and they are a company that makes car care products like engine oil additives, fuel injector cleaners, ect. They only sell to the dealerships though. Does anyone know of comparable products that are available to the consumer? (engine oil conditioner, Fuel injection treatment, and a washer fluid system treatment to help clean the washer fluid pump and lines)

Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't put anything into the oil unless your car has some SPECIFIC problem that you're trying to solve. There's quite a few products at AutoZone or places like that. You pour it into the oil (before you change oil)& idle the engine for 10 minutes or something like that. Then drain it to change oil.

Fuel-injection cleaner is OK, pour it into the gas tank every so often. I do that once or twice a year. Chevron Techron is good.

I've never put strange stuff in the washer tank, but Rain-X has some stuff like that ??

Cabin air filter for $100??? LOL.

There's a quickie-lube place near me that takes my used oil (no charge).Car parts stores like AutoZone probably take it too. Maybe they only take it if you buy thenew oil from them? You'll have to ask around 'cause it's probably different where you live.

Coolant can go down the drain insomeplaces. Not everywhere. Your municipal sewer department will know.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM

I have heard of some engine degreasers that are desinged to be put in right before the oil change, run the engine for a few minutes, then drain to remove built up deposits but I do not think that is what the Honda dealership is using. I think they use a engine oil additive that is put in the oil after a oil change to enhance protection. Has anyone heard of anything like this, can suggest a product, or is this just a waste of time and money?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I don't use oil additives as a regular thing. Just use good oil. If you wanna spend 4 years reading a tremendous amount of stuff about engine oil, check out bobistheoilguy.com. Those guys are hardcore.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

If you wanna spend 4 years reading a tremendous amount of stuff about engine oil, check out bobistheoilguy.com. Those guys are hardcore.
You are so right here. i joined bobistheoilguy a while back, but I rarely ever get n there since the site is so huge!

jarede7 - will the dealership not sell you the additive? That sounds kind of crazy to me that they would add something like that when no one can buy it except dealers. Smells fishy to me. And $100 for a cabin filter replacement is downright robbery.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:44 PM

At our dealership we only add MOC fuel system treatment with our major scheduled services, we dont add any oil or washer fluid additives....

Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

whoever told you these quotes , plans to way way overcharge you especially the $ 109.05 for the cabin filter , the cabin filter from honda is around 30-35 dollars , which by the way you can also by aftermarket for less, and it takes less than 5 minutes to replace the cabin filter on a 2003 accord ,, there is a write up on our DIY section ,, actually , there is a write up on what should be done at different service intervals ,, might be worth for you to take a look

if you can get your hands on it.. get a can of BG44K fuel treatment, add it to the fuel tank, make sure tank is at least 1/2 full . if you cannot get BG44K just get another good known fuel treatment

$ 382 for a 60k service is a rip off ....

Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 PM

I replaced the cabin filter and the air filter last week. The cabin filter took all of 2 minutes. It was a real eye opener to see how much dealerships will charge for simple tasks. I will do as much as I can for now on. The air filter was actualy a pain in the butt since it is shoved under the fender lip. I asked a mechanic at the dealership and he say they just muscle it out instead of removing the PCV sensor to get some wiggle room.