General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Honda Accord - Does over filling the oil treatment damage the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 Honda Accord - Does over filling the oil treatment damage the engine?

After the last time oil change I added the thick oil treatment into the oil tank of my 97 Honda Accord. I did not read the instructions but poured all the oil treatment into the tank for four quarts of oil change. The oil treatment actually can treat 21 quarts of oil. The dealer told me multi leak found while doing the oil change this time. I knew it could be due to the over filling oil treatment since the oil changed last time. I wonder whether over filling the oil treatment will damage the car engine. I also wonder how to effectively clean the outside of the engine that has oil leak or wet. Thank you for your answer.

Last edited by compiler; 10-17-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to understand just what you did?

Used 4 quarts of oil PLUS the whole bottle of treatment? (when you should've used about 20% of the bottle)

Used 4 quarts of treatment & no oil at all?

Is this the kind of treatment that you put in for the whole life of the oil-change? Or just pour in for 15-minutes of idling before you drain the oil?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm trying to understand just what you did?

Used 4 quarts of oil PLUS the whole bottle of treatment? (when you should've used about 20% of the bottle)

Used 4 quarts of treatment & no oil at all?

Is this the kind of treatment that you put in for the whole life of the oil-change? Or just pour in for 15-minutes of idling before you drain the oil?
I mean after the oil change, I immediately added a whole bottle of the treatment. The tank had 4 quarts of oil plus one bottle of treatment. I have driven the car for about 7000 miles since then. Now the dealer said the leak found and all wet.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well, since it's already done, my suggestion is wait & see now that you've drained that out & put fresh oil in.

If the treatment instructions were to leave it in for the whole oil life, then it's likely OK. The leaking seals would have begun leaking anyway at some point. You didn't cause the leak, you simply cleaned away the gunk that was temporarily stopping the leak.

Some of those treatments instructions say pour it in BEFORE the oil change, ONLY idle the engine for 20 minutes, then drain the oil. In that case it might not be good. But still, it's already done so wait & see.