General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5th gen accord/Dash and center console lights wont come on..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 5th gen accord/Dash and center console lights wont come on..

just like the title says, my dashboard and center console wont light up, when I have the headlights off, I can see the lights around the drive,reverve, ect.., but when I turn my headlights on, all dash lights go dark, and center console lights dont come on at all. I have checked all fuses, and they are fine. Im not sure if the person I bought this car did something to the lights so I couldnt see the check engine light. but can anyone tell me where I should start to check? I mean it couldnt be just the dash bulbs since the center console lights arent coming on right? I checked all the fuses inside the car, and under the hood, all are fine. Headlights and tail lights, brake lights and all work fine. Just trhe dash and center console.. I think at one time someone might have replaced the whole dashboard, so many a loose wire or something not connected right? idk. This isnt a huge problem, just annoying driving at night..

Please help, I have alot of issues with my car lol I guess it was to good to be true for 2,100 bucks..

Last edited by argarcia86; 02-11-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

This problem usually turns out to be the dimmer switch on the dash. Go to a junk yard/salvage yard to pick one up for cheap. It's easy to replace, a couple of minutes job.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by argarcia86
Im not sure if the person I bought this car did something to the lights so I couldnt see the check engine light.
X2 on the dimmer.

For the CEL, there is a bulb check. Turn the key to on (not all the way to start just on). The CEL should come on for a few seconds then go off. If it does this then you know the bulb is good.