General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th gen auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Default 6th gen auto to manual conversion

hello
i'm amusing myself with this idea, will have to buy all the parts abroad cause in my country no manual cars were ever sold.
what's the difference between h22, h23, f22 and f23 gearboxes?
my car is japanese built with an f20b5 engine, do you reckon any of these gearboxes will fit?
thanks

Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eran Teitelbaum
hello
i'm amusing myself with this idea, will have to buy all the parts abroad cause in my country no manual cars were ever sold.
what's the difference between h22, h23, f22 and f23 gearboxes?
my car is japanese built with an f20b5 engine, do you reckon any of these gearboxes will fit?
thanks
While I cannot answer your questions, I do have a few of my own:
  • Where will you get the ECU?
  • Where will get the shift linkage?
  • Where will you get the clutch linkage and hydraulics?
  • Where will you get the console?
  • How will you fab up the clutch pedal mounts and the mounts for the hydraulics?

Old 12-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
While I cannot answer your questions, I do have a few of my own:
  • Where will you get the ECU?
  • Where will get the shift linkage?
  • Where will you get the clutch linkage and hydraulics?
  • Where will you get the console?
  • How will you fab up the clutch pedal mounts and the mounts for the hydraulics?
Yes, those transmissions will fit (bolt up) and work. Keep in mind that the final drive of the H model (H22 & H23) transmissions have a different gearing in them. It might be better, or could be worse depending on how you look at it. Here in the USA, the H22/23's had a shorter final gear, and were mostly found in Acura's. By that I mean they run higher up in the rev range (gives worse fuel economy), but then they are geared for the higher reving H motor. It's a combo deal.

But like shipo mentioned, the trans would be the easy part. It's all of the extra stuff that's hard to find without spending a ton of extra cash. In addition to shipo's list I believe the MT cars use different drive axles too. The ECU you might find in OZ as we didn't get that engine over here, but the rest you could get thru junk yards in the USA, and the trans thru Japan or OZ or the USA. In reality, it would be cheaper to buy a car and remove the bits you want to do a conversion, as that's what most here in the states do.I hope this helps.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Yes, those transmissions will fit (bolt up) and work. Keep in mind that the final drive of the H model (H22 & H23) transmissions have a different gearing in them. It might be better, or could be worse depending on how you look at it. Here in the USA, the H22/23's had a shorter final gear, and were mostly found in Acura's. By that I mean they run higher up in the rev range (gives worse fuel economy), but then they are geared for the higher reving H motor. It's a combo deal.

But like shipo mentioned, the trans would be the easy part. It's all of the extra stuff that's hard to find without spending a ton of extra cash. In addition to shipo's list I believe the MT cars use different drive axles too. The ECU you might find in OZ as we didn't get that engine over here, but the rest you could get thru junk yards in the USA, and the trans thru Japan or OZ or the USA. In reality, it would be cheaper to buy a car and remove the bits you want to do a conversion, as that's what most here in the states do.I hope this helps.
Good call on the axles and the ECU. Another thing I forgot about; I know many Honda and Acura models required different engine and transmission mounts, and even a different number, case in point, my manual transmission equipped TL needs three engine mounts and three transmission mounts, the automatic transmission models require three engine mounts and two transmission mounts; none of which are in common with the manual versions. I'm thinking the OP may want to research the mounts as well because it may require him to fab up mounts and/or mount points.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM

now i figured out that these codes are for the engines.
found this link with all the trannies:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...atios-2882427/

as for the clutch pedal- there are marks on the firewall that have to be drilled.

i'm aware of all the bits that have to be achieved.

my biggest concern is the ecu: there are several types, part numbers changed every year or so, lord knows what's what. do you think that getting an ecu together with its wiring loom will be ok? i'll look indeed in australia, also in europe they had american coupes with the 2.0 engine.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Well good luck then. I've read reports of others who've attempted such conversions; typically they consume hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, and only rarely do they end up with a 100% operational car.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Well good luck then. I've read reports of others who've attempted such conversions; typically they consume hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, and only rarely do they end up with a 100% operational car.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Exactly. Don't rule out the UK either, as Honda does have a plant there making Civics and Accords. They might have some bits as well. But shipping of heavy items will definitely get expensive.
And going thru that list, you'll notice that Acura is USA and Canada only.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 12-27-2018 at 03:18 PM.