General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 accord starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
gpsodave
Unregistered
Default 86 accord starter problem

86 accord with 32k orig miles on it. When starting the car, the starter just whirrs, does not kick into flywheel and turn engine. I have already:

replaced the starter twice (both did the same thing)
has a new battery and coil
when disconnecting the switch wire and jumping the starter posts, it just whirrs

the batt cables have never been replaced, but are not corroded and it looks to be ok on the ground, etc. The car sat or was used for 3-5k per year, but have been using it on a daily basis for about 8 months with no problems. Replaced most of the hoses, belts, alt and AC since putting back on the road.

Hate to tow it to local Honda dealer, who doesn't have a very good service reputation out here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 86 accord starter problem

ORIGINAL: gpsodave

86 accord with 32k orig miles on it. When starting the car, the starter just whirrs, does not kick into flywheel and turn engine. I have already:

replaced the starter twice (both did the same thing)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
when you say you replaced it 2 times,,, does it whirr immediately soon after you replaced it ,, or after a while..
have you used non-honda stsrters ?? you also might want to chk the teeth on the ( flywheel -torque convertor) if they are worn , it could also make starter not to engage
if teeth are ok and you have used non-honda starter i would try a Honda starter

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
gpsodave
Unregistered

After the first replacement, (6 weeks, 500 miles) it started to whirr. After putting in the new one, it whirred immediately. These were both AutoZone reman Matsubi starters, which looked just like the original. So go with new Honda OEM instead of reman?

There was no sign of wear on starter teeth, have not peeked into the flywheel. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the teeth on the flywheel are ok, and all the wiring is ok, I would go with a Honda part , it is a bit more expensive but it will last a loooot longer ,,
you might want to get one online , could save some money , unless you are pressed for time and need it done ASAP.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM
gpsodave
Unregistered

talked to the Honda dealer, all they offer is American Hinda remans. The parts guy said to check the ignitor, the flywheel extension- whatever that is) and the timing belt as well. I need to double check and see if the engine is actually turning (meaning my whirr is actually spinning the motor).