General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter/Flywheel? or Ignition problem? 1998 LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:59 PM
R1ckyB0bbyyy
Unregistered
Default Starter/Flywheel? or Ignition problem? 1998 LX

I have a 1998 Accord LX Auto F23... it has 127,000 on the body and 68,000 on the new motor. When I start the car every so often I hear a grind upon turning the key to start. Kind of like the sound it makes when your car is on and you turn the key. Normally it will do it on occasion and then it will start up, run fine and more often than not won't do it again the next time I start the car. Today however I started the car, no grind sound and then went to the store, I got back in the car and it barely started. I said that was enough so I went home and then parked the car, tried to start it again and it gave me a hell of a time to start.

The 1998 LX had an ignition recall, it was done on the car before I bought it. However I think it may be the starter. How should I go about the issue, I am fairly mechanically inclined but nothing crazy. Is this something I should do my self? I am broke as broke can be at the moment and NAPA said a new starter would be around $150-170 plus core I believe. Would it be stupid to get one from a junkyard? Is this a fairly simple job I can do on my own?

Whatever advice can be given would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Starter/Flywheel? or Ignition problem? 1998 LX

The starter is easy to spot on front of engine beneath and forward of the distributor. Easy to remove and replace. Your message is a bit vague. Have your battery checked and make sure all terminals are clean before replacing starter.

I like salvage yard starters. Check car-part.com for a starter near you. Call and pickup.

Some starter can be repaired w/ new solenoid contacts, new brushes, etc. by taking to an auto electric shop. This will cost more than a salvage yard or aftermarket rebuilt. Some cheap aftermarket rebuilts are prone to out-of-box failures.

good luck

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 AM
rickyeby
Unregistered
Default RE: Starter/Flywheel? or Ignition problem? 1998 LX

the grinding problem when trying to start sounds like that the teeth on the bendix is worn out.but i am not sure whether accords havebendix drives for the starters.