General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88' transmission end cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 88' transmission end cover leak

We installed a used automatic transmission in my carbureted 88 Accord and to my amazement all seemed well....until I realized I had a serious ATF leak- fluid all over the wheel well and even sprayed down the side of the car- it ain't pretty.

While I am not positive of the source I think it is leaking from one or more seals in the end cover. I have the old transmission and the original manual and removal looks straight forward except for a couple of major hurdles. With the transmission in place would it be possible to remove the cover? The 3rd and 4th clutch feed pipes are attached to the cover requiring the cover to be pulled straight out past the pipe ends rather than dropped. Naturally the compartment space is constrained and would not allow this. So I think the question is can motor mounts be removed and the the engine and transmission be tilted down enough to allow for removal of the cover?

The other issue is, assuming we can get past the first hurdle, is where to find the discontinued end cover gasket.
Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I do not know anything about fixing that leak but I do know that if you remove all the motor mounts besides the upper drivers side you can tilt the transmission down quite a lot.

You will need to pull the passenger side axle out as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks crispin, at least it looks doable. Finding the gasket may prove to be harder.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Need to find the source? Are you sure it is not one of the pipes or hoses connecting to the pipes? I'd refill the trans and start it up and try to find the source before going through the trouble of removing, or trying to remove, then end cover.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey hwr98013, Thanks for the tip- you know it never even occurred to me to have the car running while searching for the leak. I did replace one of the hoses from the pipe that looked wet. It is true I need to be pretty darn sure the end cover is the culprit before I go taking off engine mounts.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

To add to what was posted, my two cents. Just be prepared to shut it off, with the tq converter pumping the trans fluid, if the leak is of any size, it will come out quickly.

If you do not see anything while the car is running and in Park....use safety here, have someone (with their foot on the brake and the e-brake set-no added throttle) run the car thru all of the gears....R, then D, then, D3, ect........