General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 accord clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM
desperatenovice
Unregistered
Default 89 accord clutch

Im trying to fix my nephews' 1989 accord 2.0, carbed, 4dr. His clutch went out. I've replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, release bearing, and clutch cable. The first time I got it reassembled and started it up, I let my foot off the clutch pedal, but it would not come back out. Even if I pulled the pedal out, the clutch still didn't disengage. It was stuck! I thought the problem was that the spring on the release bearing must have come loose during reassembly or that somehow things had gotten "bound up" in the bell housing, not allowing the clutch to disengage. Needless to say, I took everything apart-again-only to find the spring still in place where I had left it. Everything seemed ok. At this point I began to think that I was foolish to disassemble a second time without checking the clutch cable, and that surely that had to be the problem. That's when I replaced that component. I reassembled everything a second time and noticed that the pedal was again sticking in the depressed position until I tightened the adjuster nut on the clutch cable to a tighter position. This takes away the freeplay (1/4")that my haynes manual states that the clutch lever should have.
Slack or no slack, the clutch still does not disengage. The shifter will go into all gear positions, but the car will not move! The pedal only returns if the cable is tightened to it's maximum position, but like I said the clutch won't disengage either way.
Does anyone have suggestions? Is it possible that the remanufactured flywheel had already had to much material removed? that doesn't resolve the pedal return issue though. Help! I'm frazzled. I can't do this a third time.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

The only time I can say I had this problem was due to a mis-matched pressure plate/ throw out bearing.
But in that case the throw out bearing stuck in the pressure plate fingers, "with extreme prejudice". LOL
I think that if an overmachined flywheel was causing not enough clamping force on the disk, you'd probably be smelling it burning from slippage.
The car won't move if the axle isn't fully seated in the differential, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.
I'm not sure if you could pull the starter and use a small inspection mirror/ with strong light and see whats hanging up the throw out bearing.
Or maybe the lower cover plate and slip the mirror in past the flywheel.
I'm assuming you cleaned and lubed, the "nose shaft" where the bearing rides, and pulled and lubed the fork shaft?