General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 auto slipping help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
blwfly
Unregistered
Default 89 auto slipping help please

hi new to the forum and to Honda's.my background in mechanics is backyard working on Mazda Rx's. And now fixing up my wifes 89 accord as its my dd.

anyway back on subject

so yesterday early in the morning the car wouldn't shift out of 1st for a few miles then finally shifted and then started to slip when going to 3rd.

so today i check the fluid and it was full so there is no leaks i changed the fluid 1800miles ago and have had no problems until now.

i added 12oz of trans-medic today"drained 12oz atf to put it in" which is supposed to help with slipping and smother shifting and reduce wear.i went for a 15min drive and no issues i even wot couple times with no probs.

i had a 89 Honda integra back in new zealand that i had replaced the box once and killed it before i left so i know that when it starts slipping it wont be long..

i did a search and came up with a couple thoughts.

i read that the solenoids can plug up and cause shifting problems but not slipping?

i found a exploded chart of the tranny seems theres a bunch of clutch plates etc maybe this is where the slipping is?

and also the torque converter what symptoms will that cause.

what are your opinions, my wife wants to keep it auto so no manual conversion..

is there any beefier autos i can put in?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
blwfly
Unregistered

come on is this a touchy subject?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You could look up the TSB’s for your car on the web. These are the information car companies send to the dealership service departments.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 PM
blwfly
Unregistered

what is tsb?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Technical service bulletins. If you do a web search you will find them for your car. After a vehicle comes out these bulletins are sent to service department at dealerships. They have fixes for problems, warranty campaigns, common failures, mistakes in repairs and all kinds of good stuff. The titles are free, but you have to join them for more. I did a quick look for your car and saw transmission problem sealing rings as one of the titles.