General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 hona accord wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Default 89 hona accord wont start

So one day i was coming back from classes and while driving my car sputtered and died, and will not start. From what i can tell the carb is starved of fuel, i used the forums and found that indeed my fuel pump was bad and replaced it through the trunk access panels. Now i hear the new pump when engine is on however gas does not reach the carb it stops at the secondary(auxiliary) fuel filter under the hood.when i pull the filter off and have friend pump the gas pedal gas will ooze out, when i have him turn key on to engaged the fuel pump no fuel come out of the line. replaced both filters just to be sure.

Im not sure where to go from here i have seen mention of the Fuel Pressure Regulator, which i believe is on the driver side under the dash. Am i going in the right direction? and If so can i get confirmation on FPR location and what i would need to fix the issue.

Still new to mechanic work but i dont mind doing dirty work and putting time into learning. so please let me know your thoughts i appreciate it

Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

You say you can hear the pump prime/run so we know it is "good". You mention "when the car is on", I'm guessing that means "key on" (engine not running?). Start at the first filter. I know it is not that easy to get to, of course having left/drivers rear tire off helps. Are you getting fuel flowing into the first filter?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:39 PM

I'll check again, yea its fun to get to :P im looking at disconncting the fuel lines between the pump, filters, and carb and hooking up an air compressor and blowing them out to make sure there isn't something that is limiting flow since gas gets all the way up to the filter by carb. Just not to it. I checked the back filter a week ago and it seemed clean i didnt notice any debris in it. One thing im wondering though, i mean i went to Napa for my part and i put trust that they did get the correct pump for a 2.0L 89 accord. Since its electrical i have seen many types suggested for my model maybe i will check that out to, to make sure the pump assembly they gave me does supply enough to cycle the fuel ( it looks just like the one i replaced, so pretty confident that its the right pump). I will update in a day or two once i get the compressor to clean out lines.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Let us know how it goes. Also be sure to check the flow directions of the filters. Not sure if you replaced the filters at the same time as the pump or after?
One last thing, since it is not really that hard to get to. If you take another piece of fuel line and connect it directly on the pump into a jug of some sorts you can verify that the pump is working and flowing. Since it is a carb, there isn't a whole lot of pressure....PS, I've never heard f a FPR on this gen carb models... thought it was the float needle that regulated how much fuel got into the bowl. I've been wrong before.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 PM

---Update---

Ok double checked flow direction on both filters, they are correct.

Next disconnected fuel lines and used air compressor to blow them out. Gas from lines was clean of debris. Tested pump when car's ignition is on, it does pump correctly spraying gas into a bowl.

Lastly ran a separate fuel line directly from pump to carburetor, bypassing all filters, result was the gas again did not make it up to the carb. gravity stops it when the line goes vertical to the carbon the engine.

It seems not enough is being pumped to get to the carb on engine.

I did look into Fuel Pressure Regulators and agree that they are not for my model and mainly used with Fuel injected models anyway with a return valve. So i am at a loss atm, is there a way to check and/or adjust the needle used in pump to determine gas pumped to engiine? Also i read about the vent system could be a possible cause since gas vapor is run across charcoal somewhere in the engine bay so it is absorbed and burned off in the engine (not so sure on this) but if there is a bent valve or clog it may not be sucked but some may go back into the tank. So the bent valve or clogged charcoal canister may not be able to draw much if the vacuum is clogged. This seems possible, but i wanted to get other opinions on this as well.

Thank you so far for the information and help provided i appreciate it. I will await further input as i do more research on causes as well.
-BoiseHonda

Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if lines are clean, filters are clean and you can hear the pump turn on ,, it sounds like a fuel pump and or pump screen to me

pull the pump out and have a visual inspection

you are getting power and ground at fuel pump correct?? if not, it might be a bad fuel pump relay

Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I did check at work today and the PSI rating on the pump is around 4 PSI. So once again the pros/moderators have you on a better track. Full voltage at the pump. Is the "sock" at the bottom of the pump being blocked by dirt/rust in the tank. Not sure if you got the "full" assembly from the parts store or just the pump, just the pump check the conncetions from the pump to the outlet tube.
The "carbon" filter is only for vapors, don't worry about that right now.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Installed a brand new pump assembly (not just pump or sock etc) When i installed the fuel pump assembly i looked into the gas tank and it looks great for such an old car i assumed the tank would be rust and/or have debris in it. As for the the wiring i remember there being a electrical wiring on the top of the fuel pump that is connected. as for the relay i do know the assembly had wiring with water protected taping. The sock filter on the end was new and clean, but i can go back and look it over.

Spitballing here . . Does the carb engine also use vacuum tube to help suck the gas to not strain the fuel pump? was thinking of spraying carb cleaner or WD-40 into the carb since it has been stared in awhile, the combined physics of the vacuum and pump motion would definitely supply fuel to the carb since it is just shy of making it. That is if this assumption has any validity anyway.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

okay on the drivers side of the carb there is a 'vent solenoid', remove it and be sure it pulls the plunger back when the key is turned on. I've seen the rubber plunger stick in the vent opening inside the carb as well. If the bowl can't vent, no fuel can flow in
You can rip the plunger off and throw it away if you want to; then put the solenoid back in place.

It's purpose in life is to keep fuel from spilling out if you're upside down with the key shut off.
Trust me, if you flip the car upside down you probably won't remember to shut off the key, nor will you be concerned if 1/4 cup of gas spills out into the breather.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Default one problem solved

Well replaced fuel pump relay, and works correctly again, sadly the timing belt has slipped, and the belt tensioner needs replaced. So car it at a mechanics now since i dont have to tools at my disposal to work on timing belt.. sadness. Thank you all for the combined effort in helping me resolve the issue, still hard to believe the fuel pump, pump relay, and timing belt all crapped out around the same time, but i can see one leading to another.

Boisehonda