General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 honda accord check engine light

Old 06-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Default 89 honda accord check engine light

Hi I have an 89 honda accord sei auto 4cyl. I was driving down the road one day and my check engine light came on didn't run to different.But when I got to where I was going I shut it off and it wouldn't start I let it sit while I was at work and when I started it it was hard to start and missed all the way home and when it started it smelled flooded was hoping someone could give me some guidance where to start. thx for any help

Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Get the DTC code from ECU. See DIY forum for code extraction procedures.

good luck

Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Actually the 3rd gens (86-89) use a different method than what you find in the Common DIY Thread.......and much easier.

Look under ther drivers seat, from behind the seat. Might slide the drivers seat all the way forward for better access. Should see a plastic cover, towards the center you should see a "panel" in the plastic. From the top of that panel, pull the window down. You will see a LED light.

Turn the key to "on" or position II. The led will begin to flash. Count the number of flases. There will be a pause, then either the same number of flashes (only one code) will repeat. Or a different number of flashes will appear (multiple codes).

Once you have the code......let us know the number and we can go from there or if you have a service manual you can look it up.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM

There is 6 short blinks. Sorry it took so long been otta town working

Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Code six is for the TW, sometimes called-known as the ECT, switch. This is the one that "talks" to the ECU to tell it what temp the engine is at so it can adjust things like fuel trim (choke for FI) and a few other things.

Have a volt meter and willing to do some testing? For the first test you will need a volt meter to read the resistance of the switch when at operating temp......cooling fans should cycle once.

This switch is the "second" one on the t-stat housing....where the upper hose connects to the engine. Should be two electrical connectors there.....the one that is closest to the dirvers side - should be a white two wire connector- ok at this age it might be a slight yellow color - is the connection to this switch/sensor......NOT the green connector, as that is one of the cooling fan switches.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 PM

K well my fan is runnin all the time not sure who wired it like that but it is. And for second I didn't have a themostat when this problem arised but I did replace the thermostat two week ago but have not driven the car since is this something that might of fixed it or no. just wanna make sure and avoid unnecessary steps and waste your time.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

The lack of the t-stat "could" have set the code six.

Are BOTH fans running all the time/car on. Or is is just one fan?

Does the AC still work?

Another thought......Check the connectors on the t-stat housing.....is the green one towards the pass side of the car?