General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 LX - gas to carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default 89 LX - gas to carb

Alright folks, here is your chance to give it to me

89 LX 4 dr auto. Long read because I'm going to cover a lot.

For about 9~10 months one of the kids said the car would die on him every now and then...give it a few minutes and it would restart and go. Of course by the time I get home and look at it, running fine. Ask all the questions of him and get nothing (no tach flutter, normal lights on the dash, wiggle the key, ect).

Well today on the way home I see a 3rd gen on the side of the road with the hood up, and someone infront, figure I know a thing or two about these so I pull over to help. Yes, I help people change flat tires, keep water in the car, keep a $2 volt meter in the car, jumper cables, basic tools and other roadside "needs" just so I can do this-the wife and work are pretty use to me calling in saying I'm going to be late....as I get closer, it turns out to be my car and son.

Anyway, I get in and "nurse" the thing the 6~7 miles home (dies on me a few times). When it dies, put it in N, cycle the key to acc/pos I - don't lock the steering wheel dummy- then start it, put it back in D and go a little further...could be 30 sec, could be two minutes.

So, change clothes and go to town.

I'm actually happy that I'm home and the issue is happening, except it is 6:30 at night and still 101 outside. The issue finally "grew up" and showed itself.

We finally get it down to lack of fuel (yes I make my kids help or do the work), watching the sightglass on the side of the carb you can watch the level drop, drop, drop then the car dies.... do this a few times, giving it a little carb cleaner will keep it going as the level gets low....so we know it is fuel. Also had the timing light on it as well. BOTH fuel filters were replaced 9 1/2 months ago when this first started....so I'm pretty sure it is in the elec part (wires, pump, relay, coil, ect) but it could be the float.

So I finally get to the question: yes I have all of the manuals, read them 100 or so times so I know what is in play with the fuel system. I'm only good for about an hour outside in this heat and my luck is that tomorrow am it will work fine. Where would you start?

I'm going to try it tomorrow am, if it is still acting up then I'm good. If not I'm going to put in a light AT the fuel pump connector and another before the relay....any other ideas or suggestions?

I'm sure I left out a detail or two but just wanted to see what suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks

Last edited by poorman212; 07-22-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Carb failing to refill suggests fuel filter may be partially blocked, fuel pump inlet screen blockage, or fuel pump sticking.

My brother had an earlier model (86) carbed Accord which had similar symptoms. It would run and then die mysteriously. Wait overnight and it would restart and run fine again until another stoppage.

Finally pulled the fuel pump and found the tank had lots of rust debris. Inlet screen was covered when they removed fuel pump. Debris would build on the inlet screen until fuel flow was choked off.

If you can hear the fuel pump running at the tank when you're having low fuel flow, this may be your problem.

good luck

Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks TX.....that thought has been in mind, since ~3 years ago a tree "jumped" in back of the car when he was backing up, funny how that happens when they are 16 (another one of the details I forgot to post)...so one train of thought was that or a "baffle" got knocked loose then and was blocking the flow.

And guess what......the car has been running fine for the lat 30 minutes....dang it!

While listening to it run fine for the last 20~30 minutes I decided I'll change the fuel pump relay (just happen to have a spare - the 87 might not like it but oh well) tomorrow for grins, as I'll be there (hooking up the wires to the light). While hooking up the light to the pump, I might as well pull it and check the "sock"....its only three nuts and a fuel line...why not...again thanks for ideas and suggestions. I'm doing the relay as releasing the gas cap and adding gas did not help (again, sorry another detail I left out)....removeing the cap and adding gas "should have" removed the "dirt/rust" from the sock......

Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What do you mean by... "If not I'm going to put in a light AT the fuel pump connector and another before the relay"

Old 07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

First, NorthCountry-nice to see you over here. Glad you got your windows figured out...

The "light" we are wiring in at the pump will tell the boy as he is driving that "power" is going to the fuel pump. The one before the relay will tell him if power is "getting" to the relay.

When the car dies again......If both go out then the issue is "before" the relay. If the one at the pump goes out then it is the relay...if both are one...bad pump.

EDIT: Since the fuel filters are new then I can rule them out.....there is the "float valve" in the carb that could be bad but that is the last place I want to go...been there before on the 87 but it wasn't fun....I'd go for the pump first since the 3rd gens are "stupid easy" to get to.

At least that is my theory.

Again, welcome to the site.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.