General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb secondary bore problem on -89 accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:01 AM
p89
Unregistered
Default carb secondary bore problem on -89 accord

I am the proud owner of a Honda Accord LX -89 with a carburettor. It’s an old car but I like it very much anyway. Easy and fun to drive and the mileage is great. But there’s a strange problem that I haven’t found yet. When I press the accelerator almost to the floor it loses almost all power. If I relese the pedal a bit it revs back up again. This problem shows up as soon as the engine is warmed up but not before. I have tested quite a few things with vaccum and emission control stuff. I’ve checked the EGR components, fuel pressure (2,8 psi, witch is sufficient according to the Haynes repair manual), timing advance, timing, valve clearance. Everything seems to work OK. Yesterday I tried to test the vaccum controlled secondary bore in the carb. This function seems to be active only when the engine is warmed up, vaccum is controlled by thermovalve C, I guess. It seemed to work fine, port opened when I gave it full trottle. But I don’t know if there was any fuel coming in to the second bore at the same time. So my question to all you experts out there, finally is: what is controlling the fuel inlet to the second bore? There is a carb thermovalve close to it, has that something to do with the fuel to second bore? Any ideas what I should try next? Pelle K

Old 08-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Default RE: carb secondary bore problem on -89 accord

try to clean the carburator - and I dont mean the $3.00 carb cleaner - complete Carburator remove - disassemble it get a carburator kit and clean it thorougly - assemble everything together - enjoy.