General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 LX-i Smelling fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 89 LX-i Smelling fuel

The other day I was buying some dog food and when I got back into the car and started it up I got a massive fuel smell inside my car. It seems to be really bad like that when I start it up warm, but it doesn't happen every time I start it warm either, maybe one in 5 warm starts. It still drives fine and the smell goes away once I start driving, so it seems like it is a start up issue more or less.

Otherwise starting it first thing in the morning or after work I don't notice a gas smell in the cab and it drives fine. However once I park it I can sometimes smell a very faint gas odor outside of the car.

When I get the strong smell upon warm start up I pop the hood and try to see or smell where it is coming from but I can see anything obvious, then again I don't really know what I'm looking for other than cracked or loose hoses.

I think I might start with replacing the fuel filter? Unless anyone else has a better idea. Now all I need to do is figure out how to do it...

Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Does this have a carb or is it injected?

The next time it happens, I'd--with the motor off--quickly yank the cover off the air cleaner and see if the smell is coming from there.

Roy

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Injected.
What would it mean if it was coming from the air cleaner? You mean the air filter?
I will test that out next time.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check carefully around each fuel injector where it joins the fuel rail for leaks. Sometimes easier to smell/feel than see.

Check fuel supply line from fuel filter to fuel rail and return fuel line for leaks.

good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM

I am sure Texas' "next step" is right.

Yes, the air filter. If the smell is very evident in the air filter housing it would indicate a leak into the intake manifold or something to do with the throttle body. If the gas smell is not in the filter housing, it is likely to be a gas leak "to the outside." For instance, a fuel line.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

And don't forget about the canister......yes check the inj and fuel lines but if the vapors are getting out of the canister when they shouldn't then that can cause the random smell....just my 2 cents.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So far it smells like the problem is near the first injector (the one closest the oil cap) or maybe a few inches to the left or it. I'll try to get a better look when it stops raining, but last time I looked I couldn't find a loose or worn hose, or any obvious signs of a leak.
Could a failing injector smell up the place like that?