General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny smelling air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Funny smelling air conditioning

Hi all... its been awhile since i've popped in

Okay so heres my problem.

Last summer all of my freon leaked out of the system over the course of about 1 month, and yesterday I finally took it in to get the a/c checked out.

now of course since the A/C has been empty for a year, theres was no freon in the system for them to use one of those sensors, so they pumped it full of freon with dye in it. A/C blows ice cold now, but it smell kind of funny when the A/C is on.

Now I know that mold and mildew can build up around the evaporator and cause it to smell bad when the air conditioning is on, and normally I would blame the smell on that. Only problem with that is that since I had no air conditioning, I usually keep the fan set to "2" and temp dial all the way cold in order to get some ventilation when the windows were up.

If the evaporator had mold or mildew in it, wouldnt I have smelled it when the cold air flowed through the in-active evaporator? Is it possible that the A/C leak is in the evaporator, and thats R-134a that i'm smelling? what does R-134a smell like? Or is there some reason that cold air flowing through the system smells different than outside air?

thanks for your help.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Exclamation

I will have to get a can out of the garage tomorrow and give it a snif for you...OR you can get your own can out and you snort it for your self..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

actually i can't... refrigerant is illegal to buy in my state.

otherwise i would have evacuated it and charged it myself haha.