General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 Accord DX - passenger side auto belt causing seatbelt light flash, incessant beep

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Default 90 Accord DX - passenger side auto belt causing seatbelt light flash, incessant beep

I've got a '90 Accord DX with the mouse belts and the passenger side has developed an annoying problem. I'm 99% sure it's the passenger side causing the issue, because the beeping will stop when the passenger side mouse buckle moves forward along the door frame, and then starts again when it slides back into it's normal position...the driver's side seems to have no affect on the beeping and dash light flashing. The lap belt being buckled or unbuckled on either side also has no affect, so I'm going to say with 99% certainty that the problem is centered around the shoulder belt mouse buckle on the passenger side.

It moves and retracts fine, but a minute after starting the car, the dash seatbelt light starts flashing and the beeper under the passenger seat starts beeping constantly. For no obvious reason. The buckles latch, the slider moves and retracts into position properly when you open and close the door...I don't know what the story is. It will also start doing it if the passenger side door was not opened.

I do know that it only starts when the passenger belt is in the 'retracted' position, meaning it's where it normally is when a person is wearing it. If it goes forward (such as when the door opens) the noise stops. I tried to clean that area of the track. There's a metal contact thing there that was covered in sooty gunk...cleaned that. Cleaned the area around this plastic plunger thing...thing that doesn't seem to go down when the latch is there anyway, and pusing it down with a screwdriver makes no difference. Basically, nothing I've tried has helped. I also pulled the plastic covers off of the latch and cleaned out in there. Nothing.

Frankly, I just think it's typical early 90s Japanese auto-belt BS. I had a 91 Maxima with similar issues...and on the Maxima you can jumper a couple of wires to totally kill the belt sensors and light.

So, what will I have to do to disable these sensors? No, I'm not taking it to the dealer to try and wrangle a lifetime seatbelt warranty repair out of the (not conveniently close by, extremely sleazy, and notoriously difficult) local Honda stealership, nor am I going to spend a bunch of money to 'properly' fix these sensors with a new latch or something. I just want to disable them dead. D-E-D dead. I always wear my seatbelt, I've survived a huge accident thanks to the seatbelt, I always make my passengers wear their seatbelts, I don't need this stupid malfunctioning chime to tell me to do it.

I'm about ready to just mangle the beeper into not working anymore and pull that bulb from the dash cluster.

Last edited by andx0r; 08-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM

I found this in the search:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=11404

Do they mean the lap belt buckle, or the wires travelling up the door jamp to where the shoulder belt buckle usually sits?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Well, I've unplugged the green plug from the box under the passenger seat, which effectively killed not only the noise and light, but my power belts altogether.

I did it with the mouse belt latches in the 'driving' position, so now when I get in the car I have to click 2 belts instead of one. Whatever. It's going to stay that way until someone tells me which wires to cut/jumper/splice to KILL THE ***** BEEPER. ARGH.

I cannot drive with that noise, period. It makes for a dangerous distraction while driving.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Check with a dealer, see whether it's under warranty. Honda used to warranty the seat belts "for the useful life" of the car.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Default Not covered

Not covered... Ask me! I know

Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Was it the dealer who denied it? Or have you already checked with Honda USA?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 PM

Contacted both.. They both denied it because it is electrical. F-em!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

How many wires are on that plug you disconnected? What are the wire colors? I may be able to tell you what wire colors are required to run that motor and by elimination for the sensor.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

The seat belt buckle switch contacts may be dirty or worn and no longer making contact, causing the beeping and light warning even when the seat beat is buckled. The switch is normally open, buckling the seat belt is suppose to close the switch, which would not cause the warning. The seat belt switch wiring harness has a 2-P connector under the driver's seat. Normally, the seat belt buckle is replaced or try spraying an electrical contact cleaner.

For the automatic seat belts, the driver and passenger sides have a left front end switch and a right front end switch, respectively. The switches are open with buckle in the front position. The 2-P connector for the passenger side is located at the bottom of the right front pillar. The 2-P connector for the driver side is located at the bottom of the left front pillar.

This is just for informational purposes.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-18-2013 at 01:01 PM.