General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 Accord EX Shut off while driving

Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
VARacer22
Unregistered
Default 90 Accord EX Shut off while driving

So I am new to this forum and after searching for a similiar thread I couldn't find one so I am hoping you can help. Yesteday I was driving my 90 Accord EX with the A/C on and all of a sudden it was like the car died, it sputtered and I coasted to a stop. I turned off the car, turned on the hazards and checked all the fluids and everything looked good. I also saw a large trail of water running from underneath the car. I didn't happen to look at the temperature gauge when it happened so I'm not sure if it was running hot. After waiting awhile I tried starting the car and it started, I kept the A/C off and was able to make it home. I drove it today but haven't tried turning the A/C on and the temp gauge is normal. I've also noticed in the past that the fan stays on for awhile when the car is shut off. Hopefully this makes sense to someone I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
This would be better in General Tech, so I'll move it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the water that you saw could have been a/c condens coming out of the evap hose,,,,
coolant should look green unless you have put nothing but water in the radiator.....
If an engine overheats bad enough it will make the car stall out , engine starts to chug and die,,
make sure that both fans are coming on, with a/c on and when engine reaches normal operating temp 190-202 degrees ,,
if fans do not work repair accordingly
if fans work . when car dies you need to determine if it is lack of spark or fuel,, i have seen ignitor and or distr coil act up like this ..