General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord wont start, No II

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=PearlsOwner;293227]K so last night when I was playing around key on the light stayed on. Today key on light stayed on for a little bit maybe 20-30 seconds and went out. [QUOTE]

So you turn the key to on, the CEL comes on and stays on for a long period of time. At any point durning this, does the fuel pump prime?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Im not sure if the pump primes or not. Its only been me playing with it and I live on a busy street so its heard to hear. Hope to have a helper tomorrow, can say the few different times I have checked fuel pressure it has been there.
When I went out today the battery was dead from testing & sitting. Dough that would have made the light stay on even if almost dead.
I pulled the rear seat and main FP relay today. Going to jump the relay and check voltage at FP. The relay does smell burnt and looks like a burn spot on the board. When I put power to the #6 ground #8 and same with #5 & #2 I do get a clicking, I cant test at this time as I need a multimeter that does continuity

Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

being tooth off shouldnt keep it from starting but should be fixed. your power will will be down

Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by dwagoner
being tooth off shouldnt keep it from starting but should be fixed. your power will will be down
I jumped the gun on the timing question. I thought it was more messed up then just off a tooth and could only edit not erase the post.
Being before would make the timing retarded. Am I right with that? I've seen people say they have theirs advances 10 degrees. If it's making it lose power the only place it was noticable is going up steep hills from a rolling stop. Other then that she has no problem getting 2 gears and a good chirp of 3rd of tire spin. 250,thou but not sure if engine is original. Before she died.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM

K guys, she started last night.
It was the first thing I ruled out until I pulled it. That being the
Main fuel pump relay. I should have just checked this first with all the problems these things have. I ruled it out because I was getting fuel pressure at the rail also didnt think they could go bad in 6 months. My advice to anyone else who may have a no start issue but getting spark or fuel pressure is to pull this and test it first.
I still had the old one so I tested them both, the old one tested good from being out of the heat so I plugged it in and she fired right up. I will continue to beat myself up over this as like I said it should have been the first thing to check. However if I didnt pull her apart like I did I wouldnt have found that the T-belt is cracked or any of the other little things that need to be R&R. I guess there is a silver lining.
Thanks for the ideas and help, Im sure I will have many more questions.