General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 EX auto wont shift out of D

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Default 90 EX auto wont shift out of D

90 accord EX a/t 2.2

hello all, I have searched through 30 or so pages for this problem and was unable to come up with an answer so here is my issue:

vehicle starts up fine. i depress brake pedal to shift into gear and the shifter does not budge. i put the pedal to the floor as far as possible and also depressed the release on the shifter as much as possible and nothing. The only way to get the car in gear is by turning the key to the acc position, put the car in N, start the car in N and then shift to D4 to move. ok, now once in D4 as i take off the trans remains in 4th gear, it does not start off in 1st... I have to manually put it in 1 to get any acceleration, once the RPM's are up i have to manually shift into D4. Once at a stop I have to then shift into 1. also while driving the S light flashes erradically, not in any visable pattern, just randomly on and off as it pleases. dash lights are quite dim and the power door locks no longer work. WTF is going on here??!?!

oh yeah i just bought the car today and when i test drove none of this happened. i am not too thrilled about this to say the least and any help would be appreciated.
thank you

Old 12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Default RE: 90 EX auto wont shift out of D

Welcome to the forum! Sorry ot hear you're having so many issues suddenly....

When you press the brake pedal to shift look at your tail lights and see if they are coming on. If they are not then it's probably a bad brake switch.

The Blinking S light is usually from a bad VSS sensor, does your speedo work fine? I'm guessing that your VSS sensor is bad.... Any check engine lights on?

Dash lights dim and power door locks dim.... test your battery/alternator, make sure that you are getting good power, could also affect the vss readings...

Old 12-05-2006, 12:52 AM

thanks for the reply sir_nasty...

I went outside and double checked and to answer your questions:
the brake lights are functioning normally
no check engine lights and speedo is operational
brand new battery has been installed by dealer

and oh yeah i was able to shift when i depressed the brake pedal. i drove around the block, parked it, shut it off. When I started it back up it went back to the same ol same ol of not wanting to go into gear. I dunno...

my automobile knowledge and know how is good but when it comes to electric gremlins such as these I need the help of someone who knows whats what.

any other ideas/suggestions?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you ned to read the code ( s ) and post it ( them ) here ,,
lets not ASSUME that it is a bad VSS yet ,,,,,,,,,,,,lets diagnose first

Old 12-05-2006, 07:24 PM

well,
i jumped the connector turned key on looked for any S flashing. none. BUT the shifter is operational and trans works flawlessly now. when i depress the brake pedal i can hear and feel "something" disengaging to allow me to shift. What I hear sounds like a solenoid or relay clicking when I depress the pedal; did not hear that before. So it seems that the problem is fixed...Funny thing is that I now I am a proud owner of an illuminated check engine light.

F it Im calling it even for now

thank you for your help

Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM

do a quick search and you can reset that if you'd like, or just pull a battery cable for a few seconds, or pull out the main fuse for about 30 seconds and that should clear everything....