General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90K 06 Honda Accord LX SE - Check Engine Light Went On

Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Default 90K 06 Honda Accord LX SE - Check Engine Light Went On

All,

My check engine light just came on today; I just rolled over 90K miles the other day. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Or is it just the alert for me to get my 90K mile checkup?

thanks,

sc30317

Old 06-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sc30317
All,

My check engine light just came on today; I just rolled over 90K miles the other day. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Or is it just the alert for me to get my 90K mile checkup?

thanks,

sc30317
There are indicator lights on the gauge cluster meaning different things. From the attached pictures, are you referring to the Malfunction Indicator Light (aka Check Engine Light) or the Maintenance Minder Indicator?

Attached Thumbnails 90K 06 Honda Accord LX SE - Check Engine Light Went On-gauges.jpg   90K 06 Honda Accord LX SE - Check Engine Light Went On-mil.jpg   90K 06 Honda Accord LX SE - Check Engine Light Went On-mainternance-minder-indicator.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM

It is the malfunction indicator lamp. I'm assuming I should still take it to the auto parts store?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, certain auto part store read the code(s) for no charge. Then post the actual code(s) on this forum to help narrow down the problem.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks redbull-1, as I was reading the first post I was thinking the same thing about the "lights", I was going to ask the same question - is it the little "wrench" or the little "engine"

Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 AM

I took it to the auto parts store and they diagnosed it. They told me it was an oxygen sensor problem. I purchased the part, and drove home. As I drove home, the light went off. Is this something standard of the diagnostic system, or is my oxygen sensor functioning properly again?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sc30317
I took it to the auto parts store and they diagnosed it. They told me it was an oxygen sensor problem. I purchased the part, and drove home. As I drove home, the light went off. Is this something standard of the diagnostic system, or is my oxygen sensor functioning properly again?
Did you get the actual trouble code? Denso brand is OEM and is the recommend replacement.

You have what Honda calls an "intermittent failure", which means a system may have had a failure, but it checks OK now.

Normally, the Malfunction Indicator Light comes on if the problem is detected during two consecutive drive cycles, and may go off if the problem for the sensor isn't continuously being detected in several more drive cycles.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Did you get the actual trouble code? Denso brand is OEM and is the recommend replacement.

You have what Honda calls an "intermittent failure", which means a system may have had a failure, but it checks OK now.

Normally, the Malfunction Indicator Light comes on if the problem is detected during two consecutive drive cycles, and may go off if the problem for the sensor isn't continuously being detected in several more drive cycles.
I do have the actual trouble code; I wrote it down in the car - I'll get it later if necessary.

The guy who worked at autozone sold me a Bosch part; I'm assuming that is a good replacement [I know they make pristine parts for cars]

Is it worth fixing for the intermittent failure, or should I wait until the car warns me of failure again? I haven't gotten the sensor replaced yet; I have just purchased it.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

There are a few stories of people replacing the O2 sensor with a Bosch and still have the trouble code until they used a Denso. But, for the most part, it shouldn't cause a problem. Additionally, a Honda tech on another forum told me that he found some Bosch O2 sensors to be repackaged Denso sensors. Check the new sensor to see if that is the case.

You can wait to see if the Check Engine Light comes back on and if it is the same trouble code.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Also, is this is a repair I can do myself? Or will I not have all the tools necessary to do the job?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90K 06 Honda Accord LX SE - Check Engine Light Went On