General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord 2.2l sohc f22a at sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Possible...?
Got a timing light? Use that on all 4 plug wires. I guess they're more sensitive than just LOOKING at the spark.

Too much gas? Flooded? Check the vacuum hose for the fuel-pressure regulator. If the guts of the FPR rupture, you'll get fuel in that hose - and a flooded engine.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM

so what do i do if in fact tbeing flooded is the problem? that very well could be it. but i was also wondering if there is air in the fuel lines could that result in this problem...

i will get my friends timing light before he leaves to wyotech in a week. hopefully he will let me do that and a compression test. if not then i think im screwed.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel system is constantly recirculating back to the tank, so any air bubbles will quickly flow back to the tank. No worries there unless there's an actual leak where air is continually sucked in. And that will almost certainly leave evidence of fuel leaking OUT.

If there's fuel in the FPR vacuum hose, the solution is to buy a new FPR because it's busted. To verify it's flooded, remove a sparkplug after trying to start - see if it's wet with fuel.

If you're NOT getting fuel in the cylinders (for example the injectors aren't firing) then your carb-cleaner-spray would have worked. At least it would run for a second or 2 until it used up the carb-cleaner.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM

yeah man im thinking your screwed. you better put the upper rotating assembly back together real quick only 6 days till i leave man

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM

ok so here is the update, my car is running now and the problem lied within the timing and spark. i took out my brand new spark plugs (E3) and found that they are all drowning in oil. what a bummer, i dont know if that had alot to do with the vehicle not starting but i do know that it isnt a good thing. i had to replace a few bolt\studs that went to the rotating assembly and my valve cover, that i had broken when i tried to put on my rotating assembly the first time.

since i dont have a timing light i had to mess with the distributor until i finally got it into a position to start. my battery was dead so i had to jump it off of another SUV that had sugnifficant charge to power my vehicle. after i got the timing right it has started up every time i have tried, although my battery is still kind of weak. i have been running it around my apartments in order to get it going and circulating all the fluids and to charge my alternator since my car has been sitting for almost a year. my tranny is still shot but its next on the list to fix. thanks for your help