General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord LX - window tracking, ignition locking up

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
mightymavkev
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord LX - window tracking, ignition locking up

Hello everyone. I've searched and read quite a few posts in an effort to not commit that cardinal sin of posting without searching first but I can't seem to find posts to address my specific issues. So I thought I'd give this a try.

First the ignition switch thing.

Frequently, when getting in the car and inserting the key in the ignition, it will not turn. I put pressure forward, upward, downward all while trying to turn the key and nothing. The way I get it to work is to remove the key. Rotate the steering wheel fast and hard until the wheel lock engages and then I hold the wheel in that position while I insert the key again. Then I slowly release the pressure on the wheel, which releases the "bind" on the steering column from the wheel lock and the key releases and turns normally. This has been an issue so long I can perform this little trick fast enough that I'd not even bother trying to fix it, but this car will soon become my daughter's first car and I'm positive she couldn't figure that trick out the first time it happened to her nor could I successfully explain to her how to do it over the cell phone.

So, I'd like to fix it. Because I can see definite play/movement of the ignition switch itself when I rotate the wheel until it locks, I suspect that the entire mechanism is just loose and that hopefully tightening of some bolts or something in there would solidify it all up again and would fix the problem. However, since I can't find any posts with people experiencing problems with "loose" ignition switches, I'm fearful that my "loose" theory might just be a little naive. So then I started thinking the ignition lock mechanism itself needs replacement.

It happens the same on all keys and for each key inserted both ways so it's not the keys. I've even had new keys made just to be sure and they have the same problem.

So, do any of you think that this could just be a "loose" thing and that all I need to do is tighten the ignition lock mechanism up so it doesn't have play in it anymore? If so, the next question would be "How do I tighten it up?" :-)

The other issue is with the driver's power window. It works fine, the motor is fine and all the guts seem to be well lubricated and moving freely. But the upper back corner of the window shifts to outside of the weather stripping about 2 inches from the top of the door frame when closing the window. I've searched for posts and have removed the panel and plastic dust barrier from the door and the window is on the track and there are no loose bolts are anything. I've never seen anything like it before. there are no catches, bumps, jerks or anything in the motor. The window goes up smoothly and quickly but when it gets to the weather strip at the top in the back, it pops outside of it. This forces the glass to be on a bind (since the glass is in an arc shape) and creates a gap between the glass and the weather strip that lets wind in. Since it's a small gap, it whistles rather annoyingly.

I have experimented a bit and if I force outside pressure inward (toward the interior of the car from the outside) on the glass in that upper back corner as the window rolls up, it will stay in the weatherstrip track and be fine. But ONLY if I put pressure from the outside on the glass while it comes up. That led me to believe that maybe the window itself was loose at it's mounts to the regulator. I figured I could test it by taking the panel off and if I pushed outward on the bottom of the glass where it is mounted to the regulator while it raised, that I could cause the same effect as pushing inward on the top of the window from that outside. Turns out that didn't work. The window is as solid as ever at its mounts and the regulator also is not loose and there is no lateral play in any direction. So outside of something crazy like the having the wrong window in it or something (I did get it used), has anyone seen similar problems and if so have any idea what the cause/fix would be?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

Kevin.
Cincinnati, Ohio
1991 Accord LX

Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: 91 Accord LX - window tracking, ignition locking up

the window thing, I had this happen to me (similar issue) on my car and it turned out that the window was out of the front track, I removed the door panel and had to unbolt the front track and place it back around the window then bolt it back into place.

The igntion: I'm not to smart about the locking mechanisims so I'll leave that to someone who knows more than me, I do know that if you go to hondapartswarehouse.com you can search through their parts and see an exploded view of it or go to the link below and download a manual for free.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 Accord LX - window tracking, ignition locking up

also make sure that the lower run channel is in place ,, I have seen a bunch of them tear up and fall off .especially on the 2 door cars making the glass reral sloppy in the channel thus getting out of the track,,

As for the ignit switch you can try removing the steering wheel covers and see if the shear off screws are loose ,, if so tighten them up ( you can use a sharp punch and a hammer ) and try it,, if they are tight you need a new ignit switch assembly