General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord SE 114k miles car won't start please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Default confused

Okay now I am confused I just did this test and someone told me it would work. I took 1 spark plug out and then inserted the spark plug back in the wire. Then while holding the loose spark plug wire (with the spark plug in the wire) I touched it to the screw driver. I was told this will cause a ground like effect and if everything is working correct I will see a spark is this not correct what I was told and did?
If it is not correct what would I have seen with what I did nothing no spark? Please advise me here as to what I need to do to see a spark as I am confused on here.
Let me also ask you this please what would happen if my distributor & icm was bad when I tried to start the car? Would I get a sound like the car is trying to turn over but not starting kind of like its not getting any fuel? I am trying to narrow down here that it is the fuel pump or the icm/distributor or something else. I already heard the fuel pump prime/work when the key is in the on position so that to me means the fuel pump is working okay.
Dave

Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The metal part of the spark plug needs to touch something grounded such as the engine. If you hold a screwdriver to the electrode the only way it will find ground is if you hold the blade and you become the ground and will get a jolt if you have spark. Try putting the spark plug in the wire and touching the electrode to engine and cranking it. No spark or no fuel will not sound much different. Try to get this sorted out to no fuel or spark or this turns into endless tests.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

To test for spark, you need to have the threads touch a ground. The electrode is part of the threaded part of the plug.

At the top of this gen tec forum, there is a sticky with a link to the tegger site. It has some good pics and info that will explain how to test for spark.

If you have a timing light, that will work as well.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Supper Moderator

after rereading everything...sounds like your dizzy has gone bad...OR your coil is bad. Very very common for hondas. You said you can smell gas right?...well that b/c you keep trying to start it and it flooding the engine b/c none of the fuel is being burnt just bein dumped into the engine. You said it died on you while driving right?...this also happened to me when my dizzy went bad...left to go to work made it less than a mile from my house bam! deader than a door nail. I put money on it that is your dizzy or your coil.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

And at 114K miles I have to ask one more question. Has the timing belt been replaced at some point in the car's life?
Check for spark as everyone is suggesting. I'm just adding one more thing to check if spark is present.