General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
dsmulla
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord sluggish

Hey guys, just needed some help on an issue:

I have 91 accord EXR with 315 000 on the clock and the original motor. The car seems to be very sluggish randomly. There is no specific RPM or speed it just happens randomly. I may be flooring it but the car does not seem to go anywhere. Its almost like it wants to go but doesn't. The car does throw CEL sometimes when its sluggish or even when its not. I had my mechanic try to pick it up but there was no code.

Things done so far: cleaned EGR valve, TPS, throttle body and oil change.

Also, when the car is idling, the RPM spurts up and comes back down. It does that sometimes when idling.

Thanks in advance and let me know if you guys need more information.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Default RE: 91 Accord sluggish

Hmmm lets see check to see if Fuel pump is working,Fuel pressure? Maybe a clogged Cat Converter? Also when was the last Tune up? Bad plugs or wires? or Dist. cap? just a few other places to look.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
dsmulla
Unregistered

As far as the fuel pump is concerned, if that was not functioning properly, wouldn't you think that there would fuel delievery problems, and in my case I don't feel that. I mean the car almost feels like its running rich.

The cat being clogged that certianly could be a possibility. Last tune up was done when I took the car over from the previous owner about 2 years ago. I am actually planning to change out my plugs and air filter soon to see if that makes any difference.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that I'm getting very poor fuel mileage. Im averaging about 250km a tank and I am sure it should be doing better then that. That kind of triggers the O2 sensor in my head but I am not sure. I have never worked on honda's, Im specifically from the dsm background but have this car to drive in the winter. So all help is appreciated!!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Go ahead and take out one of the plugs and check it out. You might get your answer right there about it running rich or not. You might want to check out all the plugs though sometimes one can be deceiving.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
dsmulla
Unregistered

I will do. In the meanwhile any other ideas guys? We just had a snow storm and more then anything it seems to be sluggish when the weather is cold, thats weird thing I have tracked now.