General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Default 91 accord wont crank

alright so i have a 91 honda accord with 236k miles on it and this past saturday it took a dump on me i checked the engine codes and i had the TDC sensor and then ignition output sensor i read online that my TDC sensor is built into the dizzi and the only way to fix it is the replace it so i got a distributor from the junk yard put it in i reset the ecu and now same problem but my codes r gone. i took the starter out and had it tested at autozone and it passed after they tested it twice. i looked at my IG 50A fusible link it looked like someone put solder on it instead of replacing it so i replaced it i checked for power on the black and white wire of my distributor and i had battery power. what should i look for? the car wont crank or anything and theres no codes im going nuts trying to find this problem.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Different people use different terminology when talking about starting a car.

When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Different people use different terminology when talking about starting a car.

When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine?
no when i turn the key it does nothing i had my friend try to start it while i listen and the starter doesnt even make a noise. i noticed before it took a dump on me it struggled to start like there was a high resistance somewhere but i redid all the wires and grounds and still nothing. i have been working on hondas for a while but electrical is my weakness. when i had it tested at auto zone they did it right in front of me and it worked fine but when its in the car and u turn the key nothing happens

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

The electrical is pretty simple if you have a volt meter. The smaller wire (blk/wht?) that bolts to the starter should have 12V to ground (I use a valve cover bolt as ground) when you turn the key to the start position.

Let us know what you find. Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The electrical is pretty simple if you have a volt meter. The smaller wire (blk/wht?) that bolts to the starter should have 12V to ground (I use a valve cover bolt as ground) when you turn the key to the start position.

Let us know what you find. Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?
ok so i have 12.6V at the starter and its a automatic trans im guessing i need a new starter so i guess i wasted my money on the dizzy

Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

A bad starter would not cause those error codes, so you likely had two unrelated problems.

Just want to double check, did you test the wire that is not directly connected to the battery? Did you have zero volts on that wire when the key is not in the start position?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

make sure to see if the started is coinnected in the harness my mustang had that issue..