General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 EX wagon questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Default 91 EX wagon questions

I just picked up a new to me Accord EX wagon and have a million questions. Hope I can find someone to give me some answers here while I make it ready for the winter. I do 95% of my own repairs and know my way around cars pretty well.

Car is in great condition and has been well maintained all it's life by the selling dealer and owned by an older female school teacher.

I will start fresh with all new tune up stuff and trans service so here are some questions I need answers for PDQ.

What service/repair manual is best and where to purchase it?
What spak plugs seem to work best for the Accord 2.2L engine?
Anyone have the number for the correct Auto tranny filter?

Since this is a wagon, does it share the same general parts as a non wagon accord where breaks and rotors are concerned?

I plan to go through all the syastems and make things right as the engine has 202K on it and I do want reliability for this winter.

Timming belt, how many does it have and how often to replace it?

Are there any typical problems I should be aware of or check before I get it off the lift?

It sure would be nice if some of you guys would spend a few minutes and let me know what I might expect from a 91 Accord EX Wagon with over 200,000 miles but in very well cared for condition.

Thanks to all and hope I can respond soon with my findings as I begin getting things tuned and adjusted.

Gary

Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 91 EX wagon questions

haynes is the manual(sold at autozone and such).

i personally run NGK plugs, but a good idea is to just stay away from bosch.

i believe the wagon uses the same rotors/pads as the v6 sedans, not the 4cyl sedans

it has 1 timing belt......recommend to be replaced every 80k miles. pretty much if you dont have any proof it was replaced recently i would do it, if there isnt a receipt look at the belt and see if you can still read the lettering on it.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

There is a timing belt and balance belt that you can change out. Change the water pump when you do this job. You might want to replace the pulleys on the belt (there should be two). There should be a retainer on the balance shaft seal to prevent it from popping out.

The shop manual for an accord is the best reference. In the DIY section, the online manuals link in the DIY section has sites that have a shop manual for a 91 accord. This may have the information for the wagon as well.

I will warn you that the rotors are a pain to replace. The hub and bearing are pressed together and the rotor is bolted between them. The bearing is bolted to the knuckle, and the rotor has to slide over the bearing to change it out.

The EGR ports tend to get plugged up. Google T2T013.pdf to get a good set of instructions on how to do this.

I would also clean the throttle body and the bore with throttle body cleaner.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 AM

Thank you both for good info.

I pulled a couple of the plugs and it has NGK ZFR5F that need replacing but seem to have nice color.

The rotors do sound like a real PITA but doable and another friend had mentioned the dual belts under the timming cover.

So far the only issue of concern is some clunking when going from N to reverse and I suspect some play in the CVs but don't know yet for sure. I do have some vibration that may be just tire ballance and will begin there and work my way back.

I only got the Valet key with it so will be off to the junk yard to see if I can find a car with locks and a key for the glove box and rear hatch.

Paper work from the dealer is a bit shoddy in that it states "changed/replaced all belts" but makes no mention of the timming belt specifically. I will have to assume they did the externals but would think the timming and ballance belts would be a different notation.

I did check ebay and see a shop service manual at auction but it does seem a bit high at almost $30 + S&H for a well used one.

Off to the shop to finish my initial assesment and make the list of parts to change.

Gary

Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

That clunk from N to R might be from worn motor mounts.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Didn't see an answer for the tranny filter. There isn't an external, replaceable tranny filter. It's internal and shouldn't need changing.

Also $30 for the manual isn't bad, considering new ones are $70+

Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Yep, Had it up on the lift all day and don't see any external tranny filter. Breaks all around look almost new except I did find the metal shims on both the front outter pads had dislodged and were wearing against the rotors. Removed and reglued them and will keep an eye on whats causing this.

I do have a little play in the front drivers outter CV and this is where the clunk originates from. Not a big deal and will inspect further in the next few days. Good call on the motor mounts but they are all good and all the suspension parts look and feel fine.

I cleaned the throttle body and it really didn't look very dirty any way. The AC blows cold but I do suspect there is probably some sort of RPM boost sensor that is bad because when the AC is on the idle is way too low.

I do need to find new Lift Gate struts and had no luck at the local junk yard today.

All in all the car is in remarkably excellent condition and certainly a testament to Honda reliability! Almost 204,000 miles and I can't find much of anything wrong or have any fun wrenching right now.

My passengers headlight lense has a crack but is dry inside. I found a good one in the salvage yard but GEEZ, I think you have to practically disect the front end to get it out. Looks like the bumper must be removed to take the headlight assembly out.

Gary

Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

The idle air control valve gets opened to raise the RPM when the engine is under load with the A/C turned on. These can get clogged with carbon over time.

You can unbolt the IAC and clean out the passages using throttle body cleaner. It think that is on the driver's side of upper intake manifold on the 4th gen accords.