General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 honda accord ex blinking S light

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Default 91 honda accord ex blinking S light

This was an intermittent problem and now it stays on all the time. When the light is blinking the transmission will not shift into 2nd gear. I checked the tcu codes and got code 7 which is for shift control valve solenoid A. I checked the wiring and did not find any damaged wiring or loose connections in the wiring harness for both both the shift solenoid and lock up solenoids. then i noticed the positive battery cable was loose so i just disconnected the battery for about 10 mins which reset the tcu. After this the s light stayed out for about a day or 2 then came back on and now its on all the times and will nit shift into 2nd gear. I have not checked the solenoid yet to see if it is working properly or not i was going to use a jumper wire and check it with the positive battery post. Also do not know which solenoid on the solenoid cluster is A or B. Anyone have any advice?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I'm confused, what does the positive battery post have to do with checking codes?

Anyway, check the codes. If the same code 7 from the "S" light is back, let us know and we can go from there.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

It still reads out the same code 7. When I said about the positive battery post I ment I was going to check the shift solenoids by supplying power right from the battery to the connector coming out of the shift solenoid. I was told you can check them this way and listen for a small click coming from the solenoid when power is supplyed

Old 05-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

First, the shift is the lower of the two solenoid "packs". The upper is the lock up.

Do you have a volt meter to test voltage and continuity?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
First, the shift is the lower of the two solenoid "packs". The upper is the lock up.

Do you have a volt meter to test voltage and continuity?
Yes I have a multimeter but I don't think the ohms part of it is working right. I did check the lower solenoid to see if they were clicking when I supplied power. They both clicked the same. I checked the wiring and terminals up to the fuse box then I even pulled the tcu out and checked for burnt resistors of damaged wiring and terminals. Everything looked good so far. I had the battery disconnected when I checked the tcu so it cleared the codes. When I got everything back together I started it up and no s light took it for a small test drive and the light did not come on. Then I drove it a few days later and while I was driving after the engine was up to temp it came back on and is staying on all the time again

Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Well I was gonna change the ATF and pull that solenoid pack off to clean it out and see if there are any screens or something I could clean out, I was thinking maybe it could have some debris restricting it. And I've heard that using regular import ATF from like auto zone could make the trans act weird too I does anyone know if this is true ?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

The older ones (pre 94) "seem" to handle non Honda Trans fluid better if that is the way you have to go.

On the newer ones (94 and up), I have seen and read so many trans issues when non Honda fluid is used that I would never use non Honda fluid in them!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Oh ok thank you. So you think it won't matter if I use like castrol import ATF? I might just use Honda ATF anyway. But do those solenoids have any type if screen in them that could get clogged up?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Also would you recommend using any kind of trans fluid additive like Lucas oil or something? And I seen alot of posts about trans fluid and not changing it if wasn't changed at the proper service intervals. Do you think it's safe to change? The fluid in it now is still red not burnt or anything