General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 honda accord Lx problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
iverson908
Unregistered
Default 91 honda accord Lx problems

I have had some problems with my speedometer and have checked the codes which told me the problem was with the speed sensor. I have replaced the speed sensor and the problem was not fixed. I don't think the part under the speed sensor (sorry can't remember the name for the part) is having problems either because I pulled it out and hooked my drill to it to check if the speed of my drill would register on the speedometer and it did (My drill spins at about 30 mph). I also put my car in neutral and pushed it looking down into the engine to see if the crank was turning and it was. If what I did doesn't make much sense I'll try and explain more later. Do you have any suggestions on my problem?

Next problem. My car wouldn't start and after doing several things on my own I took the car into a garage for a diagnosis. They told me that my timing belt had jumped and they advanced my distributer to compensate. It runs great now but I know I still need to change the timing belt, and need to changed the water pump to avoid problems in the future. Is there any other adverse affects within the engine from the timing belt skipping? I would like to change the belt myself and I was wondering if I need to time it or can I get away with just marking the positions that the timing belt is in now and put a new one on (I don't know how the advancing of my distributer will play in this)? Will it be very difficult for myself to do? Have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Richard

Old 02-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Default RE: 91 honda accord Lx problems

If the belt has stretched enough to "jump time" it ain't long for this world. You're on the right track doing the water pump at the same time. If yours is an interference engine it will suffer severe damage if the belt breaks. I haven't changed one myself so I can't comment there but get it fixed before it leaves you on the side of the road.