General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 SE Cooling Fan won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Default 91 SE Cooling Fan won't stop

Hello-
One morning, I awoke to a sound in the garage, the Secondary cooling fan was running! I pulling the Relay, disconnected the battery to clear the computer. That night I came home and searched the Web and someone suggested that the Relay was bad. Went to the junk yard, got two relays. The next day the fan was starting and stopping! The realy was hot. I found the Water Coolant Sensor and replaced that. Fixed the problem for 2 weeks.
Today I went to a hockey game and came back to the car and the Secondary fan was running again, it's cold in Minnesota now.
Checked the Relays with the Power Windows Relay, works fine!?! The wires going into the realy box look a little corrided, but everything else works fine.

Any Suggestions on with to check next?

Thanks,
Doug

Old 03-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Default RE: 91 SE Cooling Fan won't stop

Okay Guys and Gals-
I see that alot of you have seen my question and nobody has figured this issue out.
I replaced one sensor last month.

The Radiator Fan Switch Sensor is on the Thermostat Housing.

I ordered one last night and going to install it tonight. I am hoping this is the problem since I was stuck at work with a DEAD battery after the Stupid fan ran ALL Day. Luckily my wife made the long drive to Jump Me...er...the Car battery, I mean.

I'll keep you all posted with this problem and hopefully the solution.

Doug

Old 03-27-2005, 11:20 AM

I went to the Library and downloaded the cooling system for the honda.
I may have a faulty COOLING FAN TIMER MODULE/UNIT.
According to the diagram it looks like it's on the fire wall. I looked for it there and found nothing. I think it's on the driver's side, just below the dash. Black Box with a green wiring connector. About the size a looks of Cigarette pack.

Would anyone know where it is for sure?!?!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:47 AM

...nice going parts changer!! please dont take this offensively!

...keep spending money on new parts dude! this is SOOO wrong!

I mean no harm - but you would really wanna stay away from a person who is a part changer - you will spend more and more money just by someone's guesses

this practice is wrong! and this is my opinion!

P.s. up to you ofcorse []

Old 04-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

you wanna fix it the easiest and cheapest way, yet still have it functional? i would go to the parts store, buy some 20ish gauge wire and a switch..mount the switch inside the car, and run wires to the fan, and make it manual control. thats what i have on my drag car...but thats just me.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 AM

wow... what a mickey mouse fix that is.... [:'(]

if any of my customers recieve that kinda fix - he would shoot me and burn our garage down

but hey...whatever works

04/29 Added: Yes this is a wrong fix - I do not agree with that and I will never recommend to someone do that! absolutely wrong!

there is a right way to test each electrical part -- and I guarantee you that all those parts that you've changed was unnessesary.

If you still have the problem please reply and we'll start from there...

Old 05-25-2005, 09:47 PM

Well Guys, I may have been a parts changer. But I got stuck at work one day because of the Timer unit keep the fan going all day.

Once I figured out which unit was truly the Timer unit....Picked one up for a Whoopin' $5 @ a bone yard!
This fixed this problem.

This gained me two things.
I fixed the car. Learned where to turn to learn about the car and how to fix it.
Thanks for the advice...but I had to figure this one on my own this time.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
pixelmonkey
Unregistered

hey mega, can you post up the location of the last part you changed? i'm having the same problem now and want some guidence if you can offer it.

thanks!
chris<pixelmonkey>

Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM

so from what i can tell with my problem (same thing) is that its either the ignition switch or the cooling fan timer unit. i looked everywhere trying to find it and just cant see it. is it closer to the firewall or the left side or the steering column etc? also, if i unplug it, will it stop running? just want to make sure i test it first, as i took the advise given to me and changed the relay and the sensor already. the other parts are more expensive and harder to change out, so i really wanna make sure i change the right parts this time lol. right now im just pulling the battery terminal and im getting tired of doing that

Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drfraser
so from what i can tell with my problem (same thing) is that its either the ignition switch or the cooling fan timer unit. i looked everywhere trying to find it and just cant see it. is it closer to the firewall or the left side or the steering column etc? also, if i unplug it, will it stop running? just want to make sure i test it first, as i took the advise given to me and changed the relay and the sensor already. the other parts are more expensive and harder to change out, so i really wanna make sure i change the right parts this time lol. right now im just pulling the battery terminal and im getting tired of doing that
What year is your car?

Is the problem that your fan is running constantly after the car is shut off?

Quick Reply: 91 SE Cooling Fan won't stop